1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and force problem with vectors

1. Jul 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A machine carries a 4.0 kg package from an initial position of di=0.6m##\hat i## + 0.7m##\hat j## + 0.26m##\hat k## at t = 0 to a final position of df= 11.5m##\hat i## + 14.0m##\hat j## + 10.2m##\hat k## at t = 15.0 s. The constant force applied by the machine on the package is F= 10.9N##\hat i## + 13.25N##\hat j## + 9.94N##\hat k##. For that displacement, find (a) the work done on the package by the machine's force and (b) the average power of the machine's force on the package.

2. Relevant equations
    w=Fd

3. The attempt at a solution
    im attempting to use the dot product here to get work but not working, i dont know why

20150701_191726_zpsbylgqsfn.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2015 #2
    Quick question: should you have a vector as the result of the dot product?

4. Jul 1, 2015 #3
    never

5. Jul 1, 2015 #4
    thanks, i have been doing that lately i dont know why, i must stop doing that with the dot product.

6. Jul 1, 2015 #5

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Is the j component of the initial position 0.7m or 0.75m? (You said 0.7 in the OP but I think it's a typo.)

Also what is the force supposed to be? Your OP says <10.9, 13.25, 9.94>N but your work treats the force as <5, 5, 7>N

7. Jul 1, 2015 #6
    yes your right its 0.75j for initial pos.
    the force is supposed to be (5,5,7)

i made a few typos on the OP sorry Nathanael.

8. Jul 1, 2015 #7

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Ok, your only mistake is miscalculating the dot product. ##\vec a\cdot \vec b=a_xb_x+a_yb_y+a_zb_z##

9. Jul 2, 2015 #8
    Ha ha.. We all do stuff like that sometimes, and it's much better to do that here than on the exam!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted