Work Check On a Complicated Partial Derivative

In summary, the conversation is about a complicated partial derivative problem that involves finding fx and fy. The person shares their final answer and asks for assistance in checking their work. Another person points out a sign error and provides the correct solution. The person is grateful for the help.
Liquid7800

Homework Statement

Hello, I was given this complicated partial derivative to work out:

z = √( 1-( (x+y)/(xy) )2 ) + arcsin (x+y)/(x-y)

find:

fx and fy

and this is my final answer taking the partial derivative with respect to 'x' only right now...which is rather nasty looking (sorry LaTex would not render out for me) :

z= -[ (x+y)/xy * (-x-y/x2y + 1/xy) ] / [ √( 1 - (x+y / xy)2) ] + [ -x-y/(x-y)2 + 1/x+y ] / [ √( 1 - (x+y)2 / (x-y)2 ) ]

The complicated part (or peculiar) is that I really wanted to make sure my algebra etc. was correct. I tried using a CAS to check my work...but I noticed that depending how you entered the problem I got different answers ...
(somehow depends on if you enter the full problem in...or by how the denominator 'xy' is entered),
...so I didnt feel confident just using a CAS to check my work.

I would be very grateful if someone were to assist me.

Let me know if something is unclear... thanks again

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you just have one sign error - your 1/(x+y) should be 1/(x-y). The whole thing should be
[tex]\frac{\frac{(x+y)^2}{x^3 y^2}-\frac{(x+y)}{x^2 y^2}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(x+y)^2}{x^2
y^2}}}+\frac{\frac{1}{x-y}-\frac{x+y}{(x-y)^2}}{\sqrt{1-\frac
{(x+y)^2}{(x-y)^2}}}[/tex]

Thanks very much for the reply, I hadnt simplified the whole thing yet...as I wanted to see if I was on the right track...and thanks for pointing that error out...that was a typo on my part.

1. What is a complicated partial derivative?

A complicated partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant. It involves taking the partial derivative of a function that has multiple variables, making it more complex than a regular derivative.

2. Why is it important to perform a work check on a complicated partial derivative?

Performing a work check on a complicated partial derivative is important because it helps to ensure the accuracy of the calculated derivative. It allows for the identification and correction of any errors that may have been made during the calculation process.

3. How do you perform a work check on a complicated partial derivative?

To perform a work check on a complicated partial derivative, you need to take the second partial derivative of the original function. Then, substitute the values of the variables into both derivatives and compare the results. If they are not equal, there may be an error in the original calculation.

4. What are some common mistakes when performing a work check on a complicated partial derivative?

Some common mistakes when performing a work check on a complicated partial derivative include incorrectly applying the chain rule, making errors in arithmetic, and forgetting to account for constants in the original function.

5. How can a complicated partial derivative be used in practical applications?

A complicated partial derivative can be used in a wide range of practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to calculate rates of change in complex systems, such as the velocity of an object moving in multiple dimensions, or the price elasticity of a product with multiple variables. It is also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum values of a function with multiple variables.