Work Debate: Does a Tire Do Work on a Quarter?

• Thread starter Mantikore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tire Work
In summary: Sorry if I sounded like I wanted you to do all my work.. on work. It's something that I've been pondering on for a lil bit now and have thought it out as much as I could.. and I am certain that there is work. I kind of feel dumb for not thinking about it sooner, but I am just going to do an experiment that will only cost me 25 cents. I'm going to put a quarter on the road tomorrow and see what happens. I think a few things will happen. The quarter will move, even if it's just a little bit.. might even be a few
Mantikore
I have a question about work. In a lil debate over something related to work.. and my question is, if a car runs over a quarter laying flat on the ground, will the quarter being doing work on the tire? I say yes.. because when the tire rolls over the quarter, it is putting force on the quarter and the quarter is putting force on the tire. As that happens, the quarter displaces the rubber where there is contact.. so wouldn't that be work? My friend says no.. the quarter isn't doing work on the tire because the tire returns to it's original position after it rolls off the quarter.. and since there is no net displacement, there is no work being done. Who is right?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Review the definition of work and apply it to your situation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_(physics)

What level of detail do you want to get into?

If the quarter doesn't move then what work is being done on it? If the quarter doesn't get compressed then what work is being done on it?

If we decide that the quarter doesn't move and the quarter doesn't get compressed then you have to conclude that no work is being done on the quarter.

What do you think?

Likes Mantikore
jedishrfu said:
If we decide that the quarter doesn't move and the quarter doesn't get compressed then you have to conclude that no work is being done on the quarter.

Yes, but he's asking about work being done on the tire, not the quarter.

Likes jedishrfu and Mantikore
jedishrfu said:

If the quarter doesn't move then what work is being done on it? If the quarter doesn't get compressed then what work is being done on it?

What do you think?

Honestly, as much detail as you see fit.. but I am more curious about the tire itself. For the quarter itself, assuming it doesn't move.. wouldn't there still be a minute amount of compression from the weight of the car? If the quarter were secured to one location and you drove over it again and again and again.. you'd wear off the face of it, so wouldn't that mean (even if it is on a micro scale) that the quarter is being changed each time you ran it over? Since there is force coming from the tire and a minute change, couldn't it said that there is still work from tire to quarter and quarter to tire?

jedishrfu said:

What do you think?

Sorry if I sounded like I wanted you to do all my work.. on work. It's something that I've been pondering on for a lil bit now and have thought it out as much as I could.. and I am certain that there is work. I kind of feel dumb for not thinking about it sooner, but I am just going to do an experiment that will only cost me 25 cents. I'm going to put a quarter on the road tomorrow and see what happens. I think a few things will happen. The quarter will move, even if it's just a little bit.. might even be a few times where it gets kicked up. Then might try to get away with super gluing it somewhere where it will get ran over by regular traffic.. but don't know if I really should. I'm going to find an empty road and run over it myself.. but I can just see someone get caught up in trying to pick it up if I glue it down and something dumb happens. If I do glue one down, I am pretty sure that over time the face will wear off. If I do both and see movement or the face wearing down, that will tell me that there is some work being done on the quarter. I can also see the side touching the ground getting all dented up..

As for the tire.. am I wrong in thinking there is work being done on it? For example, when you stretch a rubber band out.. aren't you doing work on it while you're stretching it? Or is that actually not considered work since it would return to it's original state when you let go? I kind of feel like since (if) there is work being done on the quarter.. there should be work being done on the tire too. The tire is exerting a force onto the quarter, so the quarter is exerting a force that is equal and opposing on the tire.. and that force is displacing the tire when being applied.

Drakkith said:
Yes, but he's asking about work being done on the tire, not the quarter.

I wanted to set the stage.

It sounds like you're both right, but talking about different things. If you look at it from a net displacement point of view from t0 is just before transiting over the quarter, and t1 is right after, your friend in right. If you look at during a shorter time frame of the tire transiting over the quarter. Then obviously there is work being done to the tire. Work is strongly dependent on your frame of reference.

I don't think you need to do your experiment. =P

Likes Mantikore
Student100 said:
It sounds like you're both right, but talking about different things. If you look at it from a net displacement point of view from t0 is just before transiting over the quarter, and t1 is right after, your friend in right. If you look at during a shorter time frame of the tire transiting over the quarter. Then obviously there is work being done to the tire. Work is strongly dependent on your frame of reference.

I don't think you need to do your experiment. =P

I might still do it.. lol, cause I looked on Google and YouTube and couldn't find any information or videos of a car running over a coin. I know that I've found coins on the road that were all banged up, but never saw a car hit a coin and am now curious as to what will happen. I want to see how far it will move if it does.. maybe try a couple different speeds.. see if it gets kicked up.

This was a weird random debate, but this specific question started when I said that during the collision with the quarter.. the tire applies a force and transfers energy to the quarter while the quarter applies an opposing force and transfers energy to the tire. He said that energy doesn't get transferred to the tire, and that it doesn't because if energy were transferred to the tire.. the quarter will then be in a different energy state. But it's not in a different energy state.. it's the same as it was before running it over and you could run it over and over and over and nothing will change. Yet I am sure that you would see a noticeable change in everything about the quarter, especially if you ran it over numerous times. It's position will change, it's mass will change as the face wears off, and it's shape will change as it gets all dented up.. pretty much everything about it changes.

Related to Work Debate: Does a Tire Do Work on a Quarter?

1. What is the definition of work in terms of physics?

In physics, work is defined as the transfer of energy that results in an object's displacement in the direction of the force applied.

2. Can a tire do work on a quarter?

Yes, a tire can do work on a quarter if it is able to transfer energy to the quarter, causing it to move in the direction of the force applied by the tire.

3. How is work calculated in physics?

Work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the distance over which the force is applied in the direction of motion.

4. Why is there a debate about whether a tire does work on a quarter?

The debate arises because a tire does not directly come into contact with the quarter and thus does not transfer energy to it through physical contact. However, the tire's rotation does result in the quarter's displacement, leading to the question of whether this counts as work being done.

5. Is there a definitive answer to the work debate between a tire and a quarter?

There is no definitive answer as it ultimately depends on one's interpretation of work in physics. Some argue that as long as energy is being transferred and resulting in displacement, work is being done, while others argue that physical contact is necessary for work to be done.