1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done along a quarter circle path

1. Feb 18, 2006 #1
    I wasnt really sure if I should post that question here since I actually didnt understand its math part.
    this question actually already has its solution but I didnt understand this part, when I want to find the work done by a force along a quarter circle path, I define x and y with r and angle and which is for the first quarter of circle is x= r.cos(teta) and y=r.sin(teta) when it is the second quarter of the circle why the book took the x=rsin(teta) and y=r(1-cos(teta)) ?
    do you have any idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2006 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The second x and y you wrote look like changes in x and y positions after integrating something over a quarter circle. Do you have any ideas why someone would do an integration for this kind of problem?

4. Feb 18, 2006 #3
    actually I have my force F=(y,2x) and I need to find the Work done along that curve so I need to integrate F.dr so it becomes integral ydx + 2xdy and I need to turn x,dx,y and dy into (r) and (theta)
    there is something here but I cant see it :((

5. Feb 18, 2006 #4

lightgrav

Homework Helper

you can measure theta from the positive-x axis, or from the positive y-axis
    (or anywhere else for that matter), but you have to be consistent throughout the entire solution.
    In any case, the 2x.dy results in r^2 2.sin^2(t) or r^2 2.cos^2(t).
    books will replace that 2.sin^2(t) = 1 - cos(2t) = 1 - cos^2(t) + sin^2(t) , or 2.cos^2(t) = 1 + cos(2t) ... maybe that's what they intended.
    but YOU should do the integral in a way you're comfortable with!

6. Feb 18, 2006 #5

lightgrav

Homework Helper

you can measure theta from the positive-x axis, or from the positive y-axis
    (or anywhere else for that matter), but you have to be consistent throughout the entire solution.
    In any case, the 2x.dy results in r^2 2.sin^2(t) or r^2 2.cos^2(t).
    books will replace that 2.sin^2(t) = 1 - cos(2t) = 1 - cos^2(t) + sin^2(t) , or 2.cos^2(t) = 1 + cos(2t) ... maybe that's what they intended.
    but YOU should do the integral in a way you're comfortable with!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?