• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Work Done By a Gravitational Force

Hi, I'm having trouble understanding this concept. A refrigerator is on a ramp of length d and it is being pushed up the ramp. What is the work done by the gravitational force? In the book it says mgdcos180 which is -mgd. I thought that the horizontal component of gravity was mgsin(theta) so the work done would by (mgsin(theta))(d)(cos180).

Also, is work done by the gravitational force difference than gravitational potential energy?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Doc Al

Mentor
Hi, I'm having trouble understanding this concept. A refrigerator is on a ramp of length d and it is being pushed up the ramp. What is the work done by the gravitational force? In the book it says mgdcos180 which is -mgd. I thought that the horizontal component of gravity was mgsin(theta) so the work done would by (mgsin(theta))(d)(cos180).
Assuming that d is the distance along the ramp and not the height, then you're correct. In terms of height (h), the work done by gravity is just F*S = -mgh, which is equivalent to -mgdsin(theta).

Also, is work done by the gravitational force difference than gravitational potential energy?
Same thing (just opposite sign).

Oh, I see it now. Thank you for clearing that up for me.