Work done by external forces on an equipotential surface.

In summary, the question asks how much work is done by an external agent if the electron is moved from A to B. The equation to use is based on the force being applied and the distance between the points.
nwyatt
The question I am having trouble with shows an image of 2 different conductors, one is at +300 volts, while the other is -600 volts with a few lines going in between which circle around. The points on the equipotential surface are on lines labeled as a (which lies on a -200V line) and the other point is b (lies on -400V line). The question is asking how much work is done by an external agent if the electron is moved from A to B? I have had so much trouble finding an equation to fit the information given. I also have no idea on how to approach this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
nwyatt said:
The question I am having trouble with shows an image of 2 different conductors, one is at +300 volts, while the other is -600 volts with a few lines going in between which circle around. The points on the equipotential surface are on lines labeled as a (which lies on a -200V line) and the other point is b (lies on -400V line). The question is asking how much work is done by an external agent if the electron is moved from A to B? I have had so much trouble finding an equation to fit the information given. I also have no idea on how to approach this problem.

Welcome to the PF. The lines going from one conductor to the other are Electric Field lines. The Equipotential surfaces are at right angles to the Electric field lines.

When they ask for the work done in moving a charge between equipotential surfaces, you should use an equation that expresses the work done in terms of the force applied and the distance, or you can use the simpler relation that the work done is equal to the change in total energy of the particle, change in TE = change in (KE + PE). There is a reason the "equipotential" surfaces have the word "potential" in them. What is the relation between the voltage level and the potential energy of a charged particle?

Another hint -- look up an "electron volt" (eV). It's a unit of energy...

Your answer has helped me a great deal! So if my understanding is correct, the change is -200, and i would multiply this by -1.602x10^-19. Since it is an external force the sign changes to a +3.2x10^-17. I am not sure if my understanding is right, but that's the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned the difference in potential energies and when I looked up what an eV was.

nwyatt said:
Your answer has helped me a great deal! So if my understanding is correct, the change is -200, and i would multiply this by -1.602x10^-19. Since it is an external force the sign changes to a +3.2x10^-17. I am not sure if my understanding is right, but that's the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned the difference in potential energies and when I looked up what an eV was.

Good. I didn't check your work, mainly because you didn't include units with your post. It's always good to include units with your equations and answers, because that helps you to check the consistency of your work, and helps us to understand what you are posting. But otherwise, it sounds like you've taken the right approach to the question.

What is work done by external forces on an equipotential surface?

The work done by external forces on an equipotential surface refers to the amount of energy required to move an object from one point to another on an equipotential surface without changing its potential energy. This means that the work done is independent of the path taken and only depends on the initial and final positions of the object.

How is work calculated on an equipotential surface?

The work done on an equipotential surface can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the external force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. This can be represented mathematically as W = F * d * cosθ, where W is the work done, F is the external force, d is the displacement, and θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

What are the units of work done on an equipotential surface?

The units of work done on an equipotential surface are joules (J) in the SI system. This unit is equivalent to kg⋅m²/s² and represents the amount of energy transferred when a force of one newton is applied over a displacement of one meter in the direction of the force.

Why is the work done by external forces on an equipotential surface zero?

The work done by external forces on an equipotential surface is zero because the potential energy of an object on an equipotential surface remains constant. This means that no energy is required to move the object from one point to another on the surface, as the potential energy at both points is the same.

What is the significance of work done on an equipotential surface?

The work done by external forces on an equipotential surface has important implications in physics, particularly in the study of conservative forces. It allows us to understand the relationship between energy and forces and how work is related to the potential energy of a system. It also helps to simplify calculations and make predictions about the behavior of objects on an equipotential surface.