Work done by friction homework help

In summary, the problem involves a block being pulled along a horizontal surface by a constant force at an angle. The coefficient of kinetic friction and the mass of the block are given. The expressions for the magnitude of the force exerted by friction and the work done by friction and the force are mu_k(mg-Fsinq), -(mu_k)*Ff*x, and F*cos(theta)*x, respectively. When the given values are substituted, the answers for (a) and (b) are 4.13 N and -5.14 J for the friction force and work done by friction, and 51.94 N for the work done by the force.
mandy9008

Homework Statement

(d) Let m = 2.00 kg, x = 3.50 m, θ = 32.0°, F = 17.5 N, and µk = 0.400, and find the answers to parts (a) and (b). (Include appropriate signs.)
(a.) friction force vector f k
(b.) work done by friction
(c.) work done by vector F

Homework Equations

a. mu_k(mg-Fsinө)
b. mu_k(mg-Fsinө)x ...** wrong!
c. Fxcosө

The Attempt at a Solution

a. 4.13 N
b. -5.14 J ...*** wrong!
c. 51.94 N

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having a hard time understanding the problem, maybe you can clarify a little more.

I had to find equations only using symbols, then solve them. the equation for part b is wrong though

But, is this an incline plane problem. Where is F acting, can you sketch it?

Sorry, I didn't realize that I wasn't posting the entire problem

(a) A block with a mass m is pulled along a horizontal surface for a distance +x by a constant force vector F at an angle θ with respect to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block and table is µk. Is the force exerted by friction equal to µkmg?

Enter the expression that describes only the magnitude of the force exerted by friction. (NOTE: Use mu_k to represent either +µk or -µk, q for θ, and m, g, x, and F as appropriate.)
mu_k(mg-Fsinq)

(b) How much work is done by the friction force and by vector F ? (Don't forget the signs.) (Use mu_k for µk, q for θ, and m, g, x, and F as appropriate.)

work done by friction mu_k(mg-Fsinq)x my answer (wrong)
work done by vector F Fxcosq my answer

(d) Let m = 2.00 kg, x = 3.50 m, θ = 32.0°, F = 17.5 N, and µk = 0.400, and find the answers to parts (a) and (b). (Include appropriate signs.)

friction force vector f k 4.13 my answer
work done by friction -5.14 my answer (wrong)
work done by vector F 51.94 my answer

this is pretty universal.. a is correct if x is displacement w=fd
w=mu_k(mg-fsinq)d

w is negative of course because it is acting against the movement.

The force exerted by friction is Ff=(µk)(mg-Fsin(theta)). Friction is doing negative work because it opposes motion. Work done by friction is -(µk)*Ff*x. Work done by the force is F*cos(angle)*x. Does this help?

What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the irregularities on the surfaces and the interlocking of the molecules.

How is work done by friction calculated?

The work done by friction is calculated by multiplying the force of friction by the distance over which the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force of friction, and d is the displacement.

What factors affect the amount of work done by friction?

The amount of work done by friction is affected by several factors, such as the type of surfaces in contact, the force applied, and the distance over which the force is applied. Additionally, the coefficient of friction, which depends on the nature and condition of the surfaces, also affects the work done by friction.

How does friction affect the efficiency of a machine?

Friction reduces the efficiency of a machine by dissipating energy in the form of heat. This means that a portion of the input energy is lost due to the work done by friction, resulting in a decrease in the overall efficiency of the machine.

How can the negative effects of friction be reduced?

The negative effects of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces to reduce the coefficient of friction. Additionally, using smoother or more polished surfaces can also decrease the amount of friction and its negative effects.