Equation: work done by friction

In summary, the question asks for the work done by the friction force and the work done by vector F, taking into account the signs. The work done by friction will always be in the opposite direction of the displacement vector, resulting in a negative value. This means that the equation mu_k(mg-Fsinq)x needs to be modified to include a negative sign for the work done by friction. On an exam, this type of question would likely be multiple choice, so the signs would be given and there would be no need to worry.
mandy9008

Homework Statement

How much work is done by the friction force and by vector F ? (Don't forget the signs.) (Use mu_k for µk, q for θ, and m, g, x, and F as appropriate.)
(a.) work done by friction
(b.) work done by vector F

The Attempt at a Solution

a. mu_k(mg-Fsinq)x
b. Fxcosq

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those look correct.

a is incorrect

a is correct.. as long as x is displacement

it is, and it keeps telling me that it is incorrect.

mandy9008 said:
it is, and it keeps telling me that it is incorrect.

Is there a figure for this? The answer sort of depends on how θ is defined with respect to F and the horizontal.

(i) First I should ask, is θ actually the angle between the horizontal and F, or is it defined differently?

(ii) Does F point in a somewhat downwards direction or in a somewhat upwards direction?

mandy9008,

Ask yourself this to make sure that your answer makes sense. You have given your answer as

mu_k(mg-Fsinq)x

That implies that the normal reactive force is mg-Fsinq. Which implies that the figure is drawn such that as the magnitude of F gets bigger, the normal force becomes smaller (indicating that F has a somewhat upward direction). Does this make sense according to the figure (if there was a figure)? If the figure is drawn such that as F gets larger so does the normal force, how would you modify your equation to express this?

Oh, I think I see what's going on. Silly us. Don't feel bad, I missed it too. :redface: The hint is given in the problem statement. Don't forget the signs!

Work done by a force is positive if the force vector component is parallel (same direction) to the displacement vector. But the work done by a force is negative if anti-parallel (opposite direction). (That's because if they are in opposite directions, the positive work is really done to the force, not by the force.)

Work done by friction is pretty much always going to be such that the frictional force is in the opposite direction as the displacement vector. Which means the work done by friction is going to be... :wink:

mandy9008, Do you see what needs to be changed in your mu_k(mg-Fsinq)x equation now?

its just -ve.. i thought they were asking for the magnitude.. either way on an exam a question like this would be on a mc so you would see the signs =]

you've got nothing to worry about.

FAQ: Equation: work done by friction

What is work done by friction?

Work done by friction is the amount of energy required to overcome the force of friction and move an object over a surface.

How is work done by friction calculated?

The equation for work done by friction is W = F x d, where W is the work done, F is the force of friction, and d is the distance over which the object is moved.

What factors affect the amount of work done by friction?

The amount of work done by friction is affected by the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the distance over which the object is moved.

What are some examples of work done by friction?

Examples of work done by friction include rubbing your hands together to create heat, using brakes to stop a moving vehicle, and walking on the ground.

Can work done by friction be negative?

Yes, work done by friction can be negative if the force of friction is in the opposite direction of the motion of the object, meaning that energy is being lost rather than gained.