1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by General Variable force

1. Mar 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The force on a particle is directed along an x-axis and is given by F = F0(x/x0 - 1).

Find the work done by the force in moving the particle from x = 0 to x = 2x0
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

It looks like the force is a recurrence relation or something...

[itex]W = \int^{2x_{0}}_{0} F_{0}(x/x_{0}-1) dx[/itex]

I don't really understand.. unless I just take x0 to be the lower limit of integration, 0, and then 2x0 is just also 0, leaving me integrating from 0 to 0... which is just 0, but that seems to render this an absurdly stupid question.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

F0 and x0 are undetermined constant.

ehild

4. Mar 10, 2012 #3
    So x0 is could not be described as lower limit of integration? I see it as integrating from original x position to two times original x position, which in this case is 0 to 0, which means the integral is 0?

How do you view it?

5. Mar 10, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

X0 is just a number and the upper limit of integration is 2X0, the lover limit is zero.

Yes, the integral is 0. The antiderivative is F0(x2/(2x0)-x), which returns 0 between the limits.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook