Determining the factors impacting the amount of Work done

In summary: Since your original question did not mention friction, I would guess you are supposed to assume there is none. I only asked to see if you had any thoughts on that.
BiggestAfrica
Homework Statement
Suppose you are moving an oven onto the back of a truck which is 1.5m above the ground.

1. Would pushing the oven up a ramp 4m long require more force than pushing the oven up a ramp 10m long?

2. Would pushing the oven up a ramp 4m long require more work than pushing the oven up a ramp 10m long?
Relevant Equations
W = FdcosѲ
Apologies for my fairly undescriptive title, I'm having trouble coming up with a better one.

I'm simply trying to verify whether my understanding of this problem is correct.

1. Pushing the oven up a ramp 4m long would require more force (my reasoning here is based on the results of a lab which I'm confident about, which suggested that there is an inverse relationship between length of ramp and applied force)

2. Both scenarios would require the same amount of work to be done, as both the distance and angle are changing

Physics news on Phys.org
BiggestAfrica said:
Pushing the oven up a ramp 4m long would require more force
Yes.
BiggestAfrica said:
Both scenarios would require the same amount of work to be done, as both the distance and angle are changing
Yes, the same if no friction. (Any thoughts on how friction might change that?)
But the reason you give only says they could be the same. Can you offer an argument that says (friction aside) they would be the same?

haruspex said:
Yes.

Yes, the same if no friction. (Any thoughts on how friction might change that?)
But the reason you give only says they could be the same. Can you offer an argument that says (friction aside) they would be the same?

I'm completely unsure about friction... I initially thought that they would be the same due to the distance increasing while the angle decreased, until I recalled that Ѳ is the angle between force applied and displacement vector. Now I think it's possibly due to the cosine aspect of the equation being negligible (cos0 = 1), but I'm not entirely confident in that reasoning.

BiggestAfrica said:
I'm completely unsure about friction... I initially thought that they would be the same due to the distance increasing while the angle decreased, until I recalled that Ѳ is the angle between force applied and displacement vector. Now I think it's possibly due to the cosine aspect of the equation being negligible (cos0 = 1), but I'm not entirely confident in that reasoning.
Since your original question did not mention friction, I would guess you are supposed to assume there is none. I only asked to see if you had any thoughts on that.

You would need to think about the magnitude of the normal force. It is complicated by the issue of the angle at which the force is applied. When there is friction, you can do better than applying the force parallel to the ramp. So you would first have to decide which case you wanted to consider, parallel to the ramp or optimal angle.

What factors impact the amount of work done?

The amount of work done is impacted by a variety of factors, including the complexity of the task, the level of skill and experience of the worker, the availability of resources, the quality of tools and equipment, and the level of motivation and focus of the worker.

How can the complexity of a task impact the amount of work done?

The complexity of a task can impact the amount of work done by requiring more time and effort to complete. A more complex task may also require a higher level of skill and experience, which can also impact the amount of work done.

What effect does the availability of resources have on the amount of work done?

The availability of resources, such as materials and equipment, can greatly impact the amount of work done. If necessary resources are not readily available, it can slow down or even halt progress on a task, ultimately impacting the amount of work that can be completed.

How does the quality of tools and equipment impact the amount of work done?

The quality of tools and equipment can have a significant impact on the amount of work done. High-quality tools can increase efficiency and productivity, while low-quality tools can slow down progress and potentially lead to errors or rework.

How does motivation and focus affect the amount of work done?

Motivation and focus play a crucial role in the amount of work done. A highly motivated and focused worker is more likely to complete tasks efficiently and effectively, while a lack of motivation or focus can lead to decreased productivity and a lower amount of work done.