Work done against gravity by a chairlift on a skier

  • Thread starter Thread starter Phykid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Work Work done
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Phykid
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A skier with a mass of 70kg rides a chairlift to a point of 20m higher up a ski slope.
She then Skis back down to the bottom of the chairlift.

Calculate the work done against gravity by the chairlift in carrying the skier up the slope
(Assume that g=10n/kg)

Homework Equations


Work Done = F x D


The Attempt at a Solution


Work done = 70 x 20
= 1400

*This is the part where I am confused.*

When we started out doing Work done, we never involved work done against another force. So Would I multiply the Work Done (1400) by 10 (kg, Gravity)?

Thanks,
Phykid

Edit - The following question: "Find the skier's speed when she reaches the bottom of the chairlift.
Ignore the effects of friction and air resistance and assume that g=10n/kg
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rememebr the force is the weight of the skier in Newtons, F = m g

To get the speed simply assume that potential energy change PE = m g h
equals the kinetic energy KE = 1/2 m v^2
 
So if I am working it out against gravity, would I multiply the 14000 by 10 (gravity)?

Thanks.
Phykid