1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by spring with weight to the spring

1. Nov 19, 2009 #1
    Hey, I just have a quick question. I understand that the work done by a spring is considered as the following; Ws=-.5kx^2. What if the spring has weight to it? Would the work done by the spring be Ws=-(.5kx^2)-m(spring)g? Does the weight get added or is it not even considered in that equation?

Cheers!

*i'm saying the weight is the spring, I understand where the weight the spring is holding is associated but what about the mass of the spring if there is one

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2009 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the absence of more data, about all you can say about the work done by a spring that is not massless is, since both spring and gravity forces are conservative,
    [tex]W_s + W_g = - (\Delta U_s + \Delta U_g) [/tex]. If the spring was horizontal, its mass wouldn't matter, but the case would be different if the spring was vertically mounted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook