1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done on the jet by the catapult

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A fighter jet is launched from an aircraft carrier with the aid of its own engines and a steam-powered catapult. The thrust of its engines is 3.14 x 10^5 N. In being launched from rest it moves through a distance of 85.1 m and has a kinetic energy of 5.63 x 10^7 J at lift-off. What is the work done on the jet by the catapult?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am unsure how to start this. They dont give me the final velocity or the mass. so I dont think i can use that equation. Is this a tricky question? Is the answer 5.63 x 10^7 J or 5.63 x 10^7 J times 85.1m= 4.79 x 10^9
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2008 #2
    You can calculate the word done by the engines with:
    W = Fd

Then subtract it from the final kinetic energy, the remainder will be the work done by the catapult.
  4. Feb 23, 2008 #3
    so, considering there's no atrit and no potencial energy variation and that fuel is massless , have 2 vital information:
    total work=delta Energy(in case Potencial energy=constant, total work=delta kinectic Energy).

So, you have
    Energy in the begin and Energy in the end

and than you know that total work=W1+W2 (where W1 is work of jets and W2 work of catapult)

I guess you have all...(i don't make the calculations as i prefer letters ratter than numbers...)
  5. Feb 23, 2008 #4
    ok that makes sense now. thank you
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?