Work Energy Problem Package released to Spring

In summary, the conversation is about a 2.00 kg package released on a 53.1 degree incline, 4.00m from a long spring with force constant 120 N/m that is attached at the bottom of the incline. The coefficients of friction between the package and the incline are u{s} = 0.40 and u{k} = 0.20. Questions are asked about the speed of the package before it reaches the spring, the maximum compression of the spring, and how close the package gets to its initial position after rebounding up the incline. The equations used to solve these questions are the conservation of energy formula and friction force formula, with calculations of the friction force corrected to use
XwyhyX

Homework Statement

A 2.00 kg package is released on a 53.1 degree incline, 4.00m from a long spring with force constant 120 N/m that is attached at the bottom of the incline. The coefficients of friction between the package and the incline are [itex]u{s}[/itex] = 0.40 and [itex]u{k}[/itex] = 0.20. The mass of the spring is negligible. (a) What is the speed of the package before it reaches the spring? (b) What is the maximum compression of the spring? (c) The package rebounds back up the incline. How close does it get to its initial position?

m = 2.00kg
θ = 53.1°
k= 120 N/m
L1= 4m
[itex]u_{s}[/itex] = 0.40
[itex]u_{k}[/itex] = 0.20

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1936/38218769.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy
[itex]K_{1}[/itex] + [itex]U_{1}[/itex] + [itex]W_{o}[/itex] = [itex]K_{2}[/itex] + [itex]U_{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that to solve for a I will only consider the distance it has covered before touching the spring which is 4.0 m

So
[itex]K_{1}[/itex] = 0 because it is released from rest
[itex]U_{1}[/itex] = mgy = (2)(9.8)Lsinθ
[itex]W_{o}[/itex] = [itex]W_{f}[/itex] = -fL1 = -μmgL1 =- (0.2)(2)(9.8)(4)
[itex]K_{2}[/itex] = [itex]1/2[/itex]m[itex]v^{2}[/itex] = [itex]1/2[/itex](2)[itex]v^{2}[/itex]
[itex]U_{2}[/itex] = 0 I'm not sure with this but i assume that at this point it's the reference point

Solving this

v = [itex]\sqrt{(2)(9.8)(4sin53.1°) - (0.2)(2)(9.8)(4)}[/itex]
v = 6.86m/s

Is this correct? I can't continue because I'm not sure. I'll continue solving the b and c after I clarify this part. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the equations correct but you did not calculate the friction force correctly. You used umg when it should be uN, where N = ?

Oh N = mgcosθ. My bad, i'll have to correct that. Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of the "Work Energy Problem Package" released to Spring?

The purpose of the "Work Energy Problem Package" released to Spring is to provide a set of tools and resources for scientists and engineers to analyze and solve problems related to work, energy, and springs. It includes equations, diagrams, and step-by-step instructions to help users understand and apply these concepts.

2. How does the "Work Energy Problem Package" help in solving spring-related problems?

The "Work Energy Problem Package" provides a systematic approach to solving problems involving springs by breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable steps. It also includes a variety of equations and diagrams that can be used to calculate and visualize the different forces and energies at play in a spring system.

3. Is the "Work Energy Problem Package" suitable for all levels of expertise?

Yes, the "Work Energy Problem Package" is designed to be used by scientists and engineers of all levels of expertise. It includes basic concepts and equations for beginners, as well as more advanced equations and problem-solving techniques for experienced users.

4. Can the "Work Energy Problem Package" be used for non-spring related problems?

While the main focus of the "Work Energy Problem Package" is on problems involving springs, many of the concepts and equations can be applied to other types of systems as well. The package includes general principles and equations that can be adapted to solve a wide range of work and energy problems.

5. Is the "Work Energy Problem Package" available for free?

Yes, the "Work Energy Problem Package" is available for free to anyone who wishes to use it. It can be accessed online or downloaded for offline use. However, some versions may require a subscription or payment for certain features or updates.