1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work Energy Problem Package released to Spring

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 2.00 kg package is released on a 53.1 degree incline, 4.00m from a long spring with force constant 120 N/m that is attached at the bottom of the incline. The coefficients of friction between the package and the incline are [itex]u{s}[/itex] = 0.40 and [itex]u{k}[/itex] = 0.20. The mass of the spring is negligible. (a) What is the speed of the package before it reaches the spring? (b) What is the maximum compression of the spring? (c) The package rebounds back up the incline. How close does it get to its initial position?

m = 2.00kg
    θ = 53.1°
    k= 120 N/m
    L1= 4m
    [itex]u_{s}[/itex] = 0.40
    [itex]u_{k}[/itex] = 0.20

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1936/38218769.png [Broken]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    2. Relevant equations

Conservation of Energy
    [itex]K_{1}[/itex] + [itex]U_{1}[/itex] + [itex]W_{o}[/itex] = [itex]K_{2}[/itex] + [itex]U_{2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that to solve for a I will only consider the distance it has covered before touching the spring which is 4.0 m

So
    [itex]K_{1}[/itex] = 0 because it is released from rest
    [itex]U_{1}[/itex] = mgy = (2)(9.8)Lsinθ
    [itex]W_{o}[/itex] = [itex]W_{f}[/itex] = -fL1 = -μmgL1 =- (0.2)(2)(9.8)(4)
    [itex]K_{2}[/itex] = [itex]1/2[/itex]m[itex]v^{2}[/itex] = [itex]1/2[/itex](2)[itex]v^{2}[/itex]
    [itex]U_{2}[/itex] = 0 I'm not sure with this but i assume that at this point it's the reference point

Solving this

v = [itex]\sqrt{(2)(9.8)(4sin53.1°) - (0.2)(2)(9.8)(4)}[/itex]
    v = 6.86m/s

Is this correct? I can't continue because I'm not sure. I'll continue solving the b and c after I clarify this part. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the equations correct but you did not calculate the friction force correctly. You used umg when it should be uN, where N = ?

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3
    Oh N = mgcosθ. My bad, i'll have to correct that. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook