Work energy question. Rock down a hill.

In summary, the problem involves a fish attached to a vertical spring and its maximum distance when allowed to fall from rest, given the initial stretch of the spring. Using the work energy theorem and the force constant of the spring, the equation mgh = 1/2(mg/d)h^2 can be derived, where h represents the maximum distance. Simplifying the equation gives the final answer of h = 2d.
Exuro89
Work energy question. Fish on a spring.

Question has been changed as I figured it out. New one is on fish and springs

Homework Statement

If a fish is attached to a vertical spring and slowly lowered to its equilibrium position, it is found to stretch the spring by an amount d.
If the same fish is attached to the end of the unstretched spring and then allowed to fall from rest, through what maximum distance does it stretch the spring? (Hint: Calculate the force constant of the spring in terms of the distance d and the mass m of the fish.)

Homework Equations

Work Energy Theorem
F=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I understood the hint, in which the force constant is k = (mg)/d

Now I need to come up with a work energy equation. Energies would be potential spring and gravitational. Initial would be only gravitational as the spring hasn't been stretched. The final energy should be all spring. So the equation would be
0 = -mgh + 1/2kd^2 or mgh = 1/2kd^2

h is the maximum distance the spring will go. I need to replace k with (mg)/d so I only have those few variables, so

mgh = 1/2(mg/d)d^2

mgh = 1/2mgd

h = 1/2d

Well I'm pretty sure this is wrong. The total distance should be greater than the stretch no? What is it that I'm doing incorrectly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I got it. Can someone check this?

So my potential spring energy is incorrect I believe. In this problem the mass would be stretching the spring out to x length and not d length so the equation should look like this.

mgx = 1/2kx^2

Since k = mg/d I can sub that in.

mgx = 1/2(mg/d)x^2

mg cancels out

x = 1/2d*x^2

move 1/2d over

2dx = x^2

divide out x

2d = x

This looks plausible. Since d would be the new equilibrium another d in length would be stretched if the mass was dropped with the spring connected. Is this correct?

Does animal right activists know about all this?

Exuro89 said:
mgh = 1/2(mg/d)d^2

mgh = 1/2mgd

h = 1/2d

You have to put h instead of d the equation should be mgh = 1/2(mg/d)h^2.
Then your answer will be h = 2d.

Your attempt at a solution is on the right track. However, there are a few things to consider. First, the work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In this case, the fish starts at rest and ends at rest, so the change in kinetic energy is zero. Therefore, the net work done on the fish must also be zero.

Next, you are correct in identifying the energies involved as potential energy of the spring and gravitational potential energy. However, you need to consider the initial and final states of the fish. In the initial state, the fish is at the equilibrium position of the spring and has no gravitational potential energy. In the final state, the fish has been released and falls a distance h, gaining gravitational potential energy. Therefore, the equation should be:

0 = -1/2kd^2 + mgh

where mgh is the final gravitational potential energy gained by the fish.

Now, you correctly identified the force constant as k = (mg)/d. However, in order to find the maximum distance h, you need to solve for it. Rearranging the equation, we get:

h = 1/2kd^2/mg

Substituting in the value for k, we get:

h = (1/2)(mg)/d * d^2/mg

Simplifying, we get:

h = 1/2d

which is the correct answer.

In summary, the maximum distance the fish will fall and stretch the spring is equal to half of the initial stretch distance d. This makes sense intuitively, as the fish will gain gravitational potential energy equal to the potential energy stored in the spring when it is stretched to distance d.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Keep up the good work!

1. How does work and energy relate to rolling down a hill?

When an object, such as a rock, is rolling down a hill, it is experiencing both work and energy. Work is done on the object by the force of gravity, which causes it to accelerate and gain kinetic energy. The potential energy of the object decreases as it moves farther down the hill.

2. What factors affect the work and energy of a rock rolling down a hill?

The work and energy of a rock rolling down a hill are affected by several factors including the mass and shape of the rock, the slope of the hill, and the presence of any friction or air resistance. These factors can either increase or decrease the amount of work and energy involved in the rock's motion.

3. How can we calculate the work and energy of a rock rolling down a hill?

The work done on the rock by gravity can be calculated using the formula W = mgh, where m is the mass of the rock, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the change in height of the rock. The kinetic energy of the rock can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity of the rock.

4. Can the work and energy of a rock rolling down a hill ever be negative?

No, the work and energy of a rock rolling down a hill can never be negative. This is because the work done by gravity will always be positive, and the kinetic energy of the rock will also be positive as it gains speed. The potential energy may decrease, but it cannot be negative as it is always measured relative to a reference point.

5. How does the work and energy of a rock rolling down a hill change as it reaches the bottom?

As the rock reaches the bottom of the hill, its potential energy will decrease to zero and its kinetic energy will increase to its maximum. This is because the rock is moving at its fastest speed at the bottom of the hill. The work done by gravity will also decrease as the rock moves closer to the ground. Overall, the total work and energy of the rock will remain constant, but the distribution between potential and kinetic energy will change.