Work energy thm and conservation

In summary, this equation is true for conservative forces, but not all paths will have the same starting and ending velocities.
rattan5
Since the change of kinetic energy, K2-K1, ALWAYS equals the integral of F.dr along any path, how can that integral depend upon the path? I realize that the integral is ONLY equal to the change in potential energy (F is the derivative of the potential) at the end points when F is a conservative force. But the integral always equals the same value K2-K1, regardless of the path from 1 to 2. Isn't that what is meant by independence of path?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just because ∫F.dr equals K2-K1 (when F is the net force) doesn't mean that it's path independent. For non-conservative forces, both ∫F.dr and K2-K1 depend on the path.

Since KE depends only on the magnitude of the vector, any path I take having the same starting and ending velocities will of course have the same work.

rattan5 said:
Since KE depends only on the magnitude of the vector, any path I take having the same starting and ending velocities will of course have the same work.
Well, that's certainly true. But not all paths will have the same starting and ending velocities.

Thanks for your replies. My confusion I think lies with the derivation I watched from a Yale video which went like (please notice dot product and vectors)

K = mv.v/2
dK/dt = m dv/dt.v
dK = ma.v = ma.dr/dt so
∫dK = ∫F.dr and then the lhs was set to K2-K1 to get
K2-K1 = ∫F.dr

From what you're saying, which must be true, the last step is only true for conservative forces.

rattan5 said:
From what you're saying, which must be true, the last step is only true for conservative forces.
No. As long as F is the only force acting, ∫F.dr will always equal ΔKE.

(If F is a conservative force, then ∫F.dr will be independent of the particular path chosen between the given endpoints.)

FAQ: Work energy thm and conservation

What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that the amount of work done on an object will result in a change in its speed or direction.

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is the principle that states energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

How does the work-energy theorem relate to conservation of energy?

The work-energy theorem is a direct application of the principle of conservation of energy. Since the net work done on an object is equal to its change in kinetic energy, this means that the total amount of energy in a system remains constant.

What is the formula for the work-energy theorem?

The formula for the work-energy theorem is W = ΔKE, where W is the net work done on an object and ΔKE is the change in its kinetic energy. This formula can also be written as W = Fd, where F is the applied force and d is the distance over which the force is applied.

How is the work-energy theorem used in real-life applications?

The work-energy theorem is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It is used to calculate the amount of work needed to be done to lift an object, the energy required for a car to move a certain distance, and the amount of force needed to hit a baseball a certain distance. It is also used in the design of roller coasters and other amusement rides.

Back