Work for pumping out a halfsphere

• Thread starter StandUpGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: Have you drawn a graph? In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the work needed to pump water out of a halfsphere with a changing water level. The formula for the volume of a halfsphere is used, along with the pythagorean theorem to find the changing radius. The mass is then calculated using density, and the conversation concludes with a discussion on integrating to find the necessary work. A possible mistake in the calculations is also mentioned.
StandUpGuy
I have to calculate the power needed to pump out water of a halfsphere with the diameter of 8 meters only with integrating. When you pump out the water of the sphere the waterlevel is going to lower so the radius is also going do become smaller as futher the waterlevel drops.
For the changing radius you use the pythagorean theorem and get rx2=r2-(r-x)2
rx is the changing radius and x is the changing waterlevel.
Then you use the formula for the volume of a halfspher 2/3*r3*[itex]\pi[/itex]. Now you have the volume so you can calculate the mass with δ=1kg/dm3.

And then a great miracle occurs when you intergrate ∫(16-(4-x)2)3/2*dx between 0 and 4 you will get 48[itex]\pi[/itex]. Nobody knew why there came a [itex]\pi[/itex]. Besides that our teacher said we that there is one tiny mistake in it.

It's homework because no one in class was able to solve this and i don't want to have a cliffhanger for the rest of the weak ;) I really hope you guy can help me with this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
StandUpGuy said:
I have to calculate the power needed to pump out water of a halfsphere
I assume you mean work, not power. Power will depend on the rate at which it is pumped.
Then you use the formula for the volume of a halfspher 2/3*r3*[itex]\pi[/itex]. Now you have the volume so you can calculate the mass with δ=1kg/dm3.
How are you going to make use of the volume here? Don't you want to multiply the volume of an element of thickness dx by the height through which it will be pumped (x, I'm guessing)?
And then a great miracle occurs when you integrate ∫(16-(4-x)2)3/2*dx
How do you arrive at that integral?

1. How does work for pumping out a halfsphere differ from other types of work?

Work for pumping out a halfsphere requires a specific set of calculations and parameters, as it involves removing a portion of a spherical object. This is different from other types of work, such as pumping out a full sphere or pumping out a cylinder, which have their own unique calculations and parameters.

2. What factors determine the amount of work needed to pump out a halfsphere?

The amount of work needed to pump out a halfsphere depends on the radius of the sphere, the desired depth of the pump, and the type of pump being used. These factors are used to calculate the volume of the halfsphere and the amount of water that needs to be removed.

3. Can the work for pumping out a halfsphere be done manually?

It is possible to manually pump out a halfsphere, but it would require a significant amount of time and effort. It is more efficient to use a pump or other machinery to complete the task.

4. Are there any safety precautions that need to be taken when performing work for pumping out a halfsphere?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when pumping out a halfsphere. This may include wearing protective gear, following proper procedures for operating machinery, and ensuring proper ventilation in the work area.

5. Is there a specific method or technique for pumping out a halfsphere?

There are various methods and techniques for pumping out a halfsphere, depending on the specific situation and equipment being used. It is important to carefully follow the instructions for the specific pump or machinery being used, as well as any safety guidelines, to ensure efficient and safe pumping.