1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical thermodynamics, entropy, Maxwell relation and Z

1. Oct 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A gas obeys the equation of state

z=1/(1-b(molar density))

What is the molar entropy change of expanding this gas from a volume of 1 dm3 to 2 dm3 at a temperature of 300 K, given b = 0.2 dm3? Calculate your answer to three significant figures and select one answer from the list below.

You may wish to use the Maxwell relation

(∂p/∂t) = ∂s/∂v LHS constant V RHS constant T

2. Relevant equations

PV=RT maxwell realation possibly z = PV/RT

how can I solve for the molar density to solve the compressibility factor. this is an example exam question so I already know the answer is 6.74 J

3. The attempt at a solution

I have substituted the LHS of the maxwell relationship for R/T (not sure if this is a correct assuption) then intergrated to get Rln(V2/V1)= change in entropy

this gives me 5.76 I'm assuming that this then needs multiplying by Z to get the correct answer of 6.74.

I have attempted to solve for z using the 1/volume to get molar density using both densities which give the incorrect answer. I have then tried to average the Z of both (Z1+Z2)/2 which again was a long shot, it was close but I'm assuming that is not the way its done because it seems very inaccurate to use an average for compressibility.

Again this is not a coursework it is a multiple choice practice exam question, that gives the solution, just no feedback.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2016 #2
    anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted