1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work, Velocity, Friction, and Potential Engery with a sliding block

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1
    (Green means correct)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the figure below, a small block is sent through point A with a speed of 8.1 m/s. Its path is without friction until it reaches the section of length L = 12 m, where the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.70. The indicated heights are h1 = 8.0 m and h2 = 1.1 m.
    (Image Attached)

(a) What is the speed of the block at point B?
    15 m/s
    (b) What is the speed of the block at point C?
    14.1 m/s
    (c) Does the block reach point D?
    ---Select--- yes no
    If so, what is its speed there and if not, how far through the section of friction does it travel?
    in units of m/s

2. Relevant equations

Kinematics equations
    Mu*N= Fkinetic

3. The attempt at a solution

Now, I've already finished a, b, c, I just need help with d. I first determined that all I had to do was set up a kinematics graph and use point C as my starting point. So, my inital velocity would be 14.1, my acceleration (which I got from using the second equation above, the normal force is equal to the weight for mg) is -6.86, and my delta-x is 12.

I realize that the picture does not depict L to be 12 exactly, but I see no other way to do this. Then, using the Vf^2=Vo^2 +2ax equation I solved for Vf. My answer was 5.84 m/s, however, this is incorrect. Could someone lead me to the right direction???

Thanks in advance!

~Phoenix

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks good to me.

(Perhaps it's a fluke in the online system. Try redoing your calculations without rounding off until the last step.)

4. Nov 21, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your response! At least I feel like I know what I'm doing.... I'll redo it right now.

5. Nov 21, 2008 #4
    Hmm... turns out I didn't round anything off until the end. And still got the same answer. Perhaps I should merely confront my teacher tomorrow about the incident. Is there anything else I could possibly be doing wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?