1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working out the initial velocity

1. Apr 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Tom decided to attempt to jump a 200m wide river on rocket skates. He built a 60m long ramp with an angle of 30° to the horizontal and plans to land on a mattress at ground level. Determine the launch speed necessary for Tom to be successful.

2. Relevant equations

I read up on this:
    vo = √Rg/Sin(2 * θ)

3. The attempt at a solution

vo = √200 * g/Sin(2 * 30)
    vo = √200*g/0.866

Not a homework question, but I stumbled upon this and want to learn this stuff.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi theholychilli. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

I very much doubt that there is a neat formula going around which you can memorize for this problem. Much better that you learn to figure it out for yourself.

The first step is to draw a large clear diagram, and mark on all the relevant details you know. See how you go with that.

I think there is an assumption that is going to have to be made about the skates, too ....

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted