Initial velocity if a performer clears a 30 m tall object

In summary: try multiplying the range equation by vi*sin(θ)*t:3065.625/(vi2*cos2θ) - 25 tanθ = 30then solving for θ:θ = (3065.625*vi*sin(θ)*t)/(25*vi*cos2θ)or θ = (3065.625*vi*sin(θ))/(25*vi*cos2θ)
DeathEater

Homework Statement

In 1940, Emanuel Zachinni, one of a family of “human cannonball” performers, set a world record by traveling 53m. If he clears the 20 m tall ferris wheel (which is 25 m away from the cannon) by 10 m, how fast was he going at launch?

Homework Equations

range 53m =[(vi)2sin(2θ)]/g
time vi*cos(θ)*t = 25m & vi*sin(θ)*t -½*g*t2 = 30 m
(since this occurs at same time):
25/ vi*cosθ = t
which can be plugged into vi*sin(θ)*t -½*g*t2 = 30 m

The Attempt at a Solution

tried solving for vi to plug in using range and got √((53*g)/sin(2θ)) . I don't really now where to go from here. :/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DeathEater said:
25/ vi*cosθ = (-60+vi*sinθ)/g
How do you get the right hand side of that equation?

You have three equations in three unknowns, so you need to start by combining them in some way to eliminate all but one variable. You have made a start at that, but you have incorrectly solved the vertical speed equation for t. Since that equation is quadratic in t, you are going to end up with vi*sin(θ) under a radical, which will not be very useful. You could try instead to eliminate vi2sin(2θ) from the range equation, replacing it with an expression involving t.

haruspex said:
How do you get the right hand side of that equation?

I see my mistake now. Should it be (1/2)gt2 - vi*sinθ*t - 30?

and do I use the quadratic formula for t?

DeathEater said:
vi*sin(θ)*t -½*g*t2 = 30 m by solving for t using this
That would have given you something with a square root in it. What happened to that?

Try the other way, use the horizontal equation to get a t value to substitute in the vertical equation.

haruspex said:
That would have given you something with a square root in it. What happened to that?

Try the other way, use the horizontal equation to get a t value to substitute in the vertical equation.

are you saying to plug in 25/vi*cosθ for t in the expression (1/2)gt2 - vi*sinθ*t - 30? Because I'm not sure what to do with the range equation since the t's are different.

tnich said:
You have three equations in three unknowns, so you need to start by combining them in some way to eliminate all but one variable. You have made a start at that, but you have incorrectly solved the vertical speed equation for t. Since that equation is quadratic in t, you are going to end up with vi*sin(θ) under a radical, which will not be very useful. You could try instead to eliminate vi2sin(2θ) from the range equation, replacing it with an expression involving t.

I'm sorry, I am not quite sure how I could eliminate that since the t's are different in the 3 equations

DeathEater said:
are you saying to plug in 25/vi*cosθ for t in the expression (1/2)gt2 - vi*sinθ*t - 30?
Yes. (I assume you meant (1/2)gt2 - vi*sinθ*t = 30.)
DeathEater said:
I'm not sure what to do with the range equation since the t's are different.
You range equation does not feature a time.

DeathEater said:
I'm sorry, I am not quite sure how I could eliminate that since the t's are different in the 3 equations
I am not sure why you say that. Didn't you set up the two time equations to represent the vertical and horizontal positions at the same time t? Also, t does not appear at all in the range equation.

haruspex said:
Yes. (I assume you meant (1/2)gt2 - vi*sinθ*t = 30.)

You range equation does not feature a time.

okay, I tried doing that and ended up with:
3065.625/(vi2*cos2θ) - 25 tanθ = 30

do I solve for vi2 using that and plug it into range to solve for θ?

the 3065.625 also comes from the 252*½*g

tnich said:
I am not sure why you say that. Didn't you set up the two time equations to represent the vertical and horizontal positions at the same time t? Also, t does not appear at all in the range equation.

yes I see the issue (see my newest comment above). The math just seems a bit "ugly" for 1st year physics so I assumed I was doing something wrong.

DeathEater said:
yes I see the issue (see my newest comment above). The math just seems a bit "ugly" for 1st year physics so I assumed I was doing something wrong.
There is a trick that makes it pretty easy. See my first comment.

tnich said:
There is a trick that makes it pretty easy. See my first comment.

yeah I see it, I just don't understand how to get rid of the vi2sin(2θ). You say to replace it with a t, but I don't know what you mean by that. I know the range equation is t(final) * vi*cosθ, but the t's in the other equations aren't the same

DeathEater said:
do I solve for vi2 using that and plug it into range to solve for θ?
Seems a reasonable strategy.

DeathEater said:
yeah I see it, I just don't understand how to get rid of the vi2sin(2θ). You say to replace it with a t, but I don't know what you mean by that
Write sin(2θ) in terms of sinθ and cosθ. Then find a way to express sinθ and cosθ in terms of t.

haruspex said:
Seems a reasonable strategy.
well when I tried it I got θ= 116.12°...so.

tnich said:
Write sin(2θ) in terms of sinθ and cosθ. Then find a way to express sinθ and cosθ in terms of t.

do you mean re-writing vi*cos(θ)*t = 25m & vi*sin(θ)*t -½*g*t2 = 30 m to find cosθ and sinθ and plug that in?

DeathEater said:
do you mean re-writing vi*cos(θ)*t = 25m & vi*sin(θ)*t -½*g*t2 = 30 m to find cosθ and sinθ and plug that in?

That does seem like a way to write sinθ and cosθ in terms of t.

tnich said:
That does seem like a way to write sinθ and cosθ in terms of t.

but I still end up with vi and t, so 2 variables? what do I do about that?

DeathEater said:
but I still end up with vi and t, so 2 variables? what do I do about that?
Work it through and see what you get.

tnich said:
Work it through and see what you get.

I see my mistake. I am an idiot haha.

I got t = 2.34 s (approx)

DeathEater said:
I see my mistake. I am an idiot haha.

I got t = 2.34 s (approx)

but the θ came out as -7.33°?

DeathEater said:
but the θ came out as -7.33°?
Why are you calculating θ? I thought you wanted vi.

tnich said:
Why are you calculating θ? I thought you wanted vi.
How did you calculate θ?

tnich said:
How did you calculate θ?

took cos-1(((125/53)-5)/6) and after recalculating got 116°. Can you help me figure out where I am going wrong?

DeathEater said:
took cos-1(((125/53)-5)/6) and after recalculating got 116°. Can you help me figure out where I am going wrong?
I can't tell how you got there. Since you have cos-1 in your expression, I assume you are substituting values for t and vi into the horizontal position equation. What value are you using for vi?

tnich said:
I can't tell how you got there. Since you have cos-1 in your expression, I assume you are substituting values for t and vi into the horizontal position equation. What value are you using for vi?

Okay, I tried a different approach. I know that at t1= 2.473 s, the man has a horizontal displacement of 25 m. Since the peak will be reached when he is 26.5 m away, I set up an equality expression and got that t2 (time at peak) is 2.622 s

using the formula for time to fall, I found that the peak height is 33.71 m
using tan-1(33.71/26.5) I got θ= 51.827°

and since vi*cosθ*time final = 53
then vi = 53/ (cos(51.827)*(2.622*2)) = 16.353 m/s

Is this now correct?

DeathEater said:
Okay, I tried a different approach. I know that at t1= 2.473 s, the man has a horizontal displacement of 25 m. Since the peak will be reached when he is 26.5 m away, I set up an equality expression and got that t2 (time at peak) is 2.622 s

using the formula for time to fall, I found that the peak height is 33.71 m

and since vi*cosθ*time final = 53
then vi = 53/ (cos(51.827)*(2.622*2)) = 16.353 m/s

Is this now correct?
Your conceptual approach is a good one, but I think your value for the peak height is incorrect. Since you haven't shown how you calculated it, I can't say where your error is. Also, I suggest that you draw a diagram of the trajectory to see if the angle you are calculating is the one you really want.

DeathEater said:
the peak will be reached when he is 26.5 m away,
Ok.
DeathEater said:
the peak height is 33.71 m
Ok.
DeathEater said:
What has that got to do with the launch angle? Was the trajectory a straight line up to the peak?

tnich said:
Your conceptual approach is a good one, but I think your value for the peak height is incorrect. Since you haven't shown how you calculated it, I can't say where your error is. Also, I suggest that you draw a diagram of the trajectory to see if the angle you are calculating is the one you really want.

I used the equation for time to fall which is 2.622 = √(2*h/g)

haruspex said:
Ok.

Ok.

What has that got to do with the launch angle? Was the trajectory a straight line up to the peak?

Well how would I find the launch angle then?

DeathEater said:
I used the equation for time to fall which is 2.622 = √(2*h/g)
You say that t1 = 2.473s, but that is not the same value you had for it initially (2.34s).

DeathEater said:
Once again, I think it would really help to draw a diagram of the trajectory and label it with what you already know. Then you could start figuring out how to find the launch angle.

DeathEater said:
What equations relate the initial velocity components?