Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working principle of the photodiode and photoresistor

1. May 3, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone. I feel myself a little bit confused because I can't understand the difference between the working principle of the photodiode and the photoresistor. The photoresistor changes its resistance under the influence of light while photodiode changes the current across iself. Is this right? I also know that photoresistor use the principle called photoconductivity, but what principle is used by photodiode then? I guess there should be some difference, because why we are talking about resistance in one case and about current in another?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi akzo! Does a google search lead you to finding out the basics of a photodiode?

4. May 3, 2016 #3
    Yes It did but I am still confused. I need to find the name of the working principle that lays in the basis of the photodiode, and I guess if I found the answer in google I wouldn't ask the question here.

5. May 3, 2016 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

how about typing in... How does a photodiode work ? into google
    I got 100's of hits with various descriptions

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted