Working substance of a refrigerator

In summary, CFCs were banned for production due to their contribution to ozone depletion, but existing stocks and equipment were allowed to remain in use. Freon is a type of CFC and while it is still in use, its production has been limited and its price has risen. Some developing countries were exempt from the ban due to economic reasons. The Montreal Protocol provides more information on this topic.
iScience
i don't know where to post this so mods or admins can repost to whatever section is best fit.

in my thermo class we were learning about the refrigerator and as soon as the prof said the working substance was CFC i remembered back to my high school chemistry days when my high school chem teacher told us that CFC was banned for Ozone depletion. and apparently freon is still used everywhere. i did a little "research" and all i was able to find was that CFC is actually a class of chemicals, one of which happens to be freon.

but i thought ALL CFC's were banned. why is freon still in use then? is freon a paticular CFC that has no effect on the ozone?

Physics news on Phys.org
The ban only covered the production of new CFC material. All equipment and existing stocks of CFC material were allowed to remain in use. Appliances like refrigerators can run for many years with the CFC material that was supplied at the factory. Other equipment, like air conditioners which use CFC material can be recharged with CFCs which were produced before manufacture was banned. However, since the amount of this material is dwindling, its price has risen as a result. Also, the ban on manufacture of CFC was not imposed on certain 'developing' countries because of economic hardship.

For a summary of the details, this article might help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Protocol

What is the working substance of a refrigerator?

The working substance of a refrigerator is a type of refrigerant, which is a chemical compound that is capable of absorbing and releasing heat in order to cool down the air inside the refrigerator.

What are the common types of working substances used in refrigerators?

The most commonly used working substances in refrigerators are chlorofluorocarbon (CFC), hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC), and hydrofluorocarbon (HFC). These substances are often referred to by their brand names, such as Freon, R-22, and R-134a.

How does the working substance in a refrigerator cool down the air?

The working substance in a refrigerator undergoes a cycle of evaporation and condensation. When it is in a liquid state, it absorbs heat from the air inside the refrigerator, causing it to evaporate into a gas. The gas then travels to the compressor, where it is compressed and condensed back into a liquid. This process releases the heat that was absorbed earlier, resulting in a cooling effect inside the refrigerator.

Why is it important to use the correct type of working substance in a refrigerator?

Using the correct type of working substance is important for both the efficiency and safety of a refrigerator. Different substances have different properties, and using the wrong one can result in a loss of cooling performance or even damage to the refrigerator. Additionally, some substances, such as CFCs, have been found to be harmful to the environment and are now banned in many countries.

Can the working substance in a refrigerator be replaced or refilled?

In most cases, the working substance in a refrigerator can be replaced or refilled by a professional technician. However, it is important to ensure that the correct type of substance is used and that it is handled and disposed of properly to prevent harm to the environment. It is also recommended to have this done by a trained professional to ensure safety and proper functioning of the refrigerator.