World Cup in Brasil, expectations.

• MHB
  • Thread starter alyafey22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    world cup
In summary, the WC has begun and Algeria is chasing the dream of qualifying for the first time. There were many goals and unexpected results. Belgium is the only Arabic team chasing the dream. Today, Algeria faces the strong Belgium team.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
As many of you might know the WC has started a few days ago. There were many goals and unexpected results. Today the only Arabic team Algeria is chasing the dream of qualifying for the first time to the second stage when it faces the strong Belgium team. I hope they win!

What about you, what's your favorite team? Who do u think could win the WC?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: World Cup in Brasil , expectations.

So disappointed ! Algeria was about to win but Belgium deserves the three points lead.

A draw between Mexico and Brasil. Brasil has to show a better performance to win th WC.

I must admit that I am not a fan of European football (soccer as we call it here). The WC is a huge deal though so I'm a bit curious. Who is the current favorite now that some matches have played out?

I'm basically only a football fan once every four years (ie World Cup). Algeria deserved a draw, to be fair, but they're still in with a chance (England lost 2-1 to Italy, so I have to be optimistic here also! lol).

Other than that, wow! So many goals! This has been the best WC ever... (Poolparty)(Poolparty)(Poolparty)

Sorry, fellow England fans, but for me, I hope Brazil win. It's a long story, of course, but with so much money spent, and a lot of people in Brazil (quite rightly) questioning such excessive spending - where it would have been much better spent on schools and hospitals - at the very least, I hope they win. It won't change anything, in the sense that it won't fix such injustices, but if they win it might seem slightly less like a hideous waste of money... Slightly. Go, go Brazil! (Handshake) [Not sympathy, mind, but understanding... And solidarity]

(Hug)(Hug)(Hug)

Jameson said:
I must admit that I am not a fan of European football (soccer as we call it here). The WC is a huge deal though so I'm a bit curious. Who is the current favorite now that some matches have played out?

I thought you were russian! Where did I get that absurd idea? ;)

The best teams, imo, are the Netherlands and Germany. The favorites, off course, include the usual teams: Netherlands, Germany, Argentina, Brazil, England, Italy, Spain and France. I feel like I'm forgeting some major team... but these teams are always contenders to the title.

What's interesting to me is that each year the USA team gets significantly better. Last world cup I think you guys got to the quarter finals. For a country where football (soccer) is not even on the top 4 most popular sports, it's very impressive.

The US is on our group. And I've said many times to my friedns that, although we think we (Portugal) are way better than the USA team, that was in the past. They are getting closer and closer each WC edition.

Anyway, good luck to all and better luck to Portugal. :D

DreamWeaver said:
I'm basically only a football fan once every four years (ie World Cup). Algeria deserved a draw, to be fair, but they're still in with a chance (England lost 2-1 to Italy, so I have to be optimistic here also! lol).

Other than that, wow! So many goals! This has been the best WC ever... (Poolparty)(Poolparty)(Poolparty)

Sorry, fellow England fans, but for me, I hope Brazil win. It's a long story, of course, but with so much money spent, and a lot of people in Brazil (quite rightly) questioning such excessive spending - where it would have been much better spent on schools and hospitals - at the very least, I hope they win. It won't change anything, in the sense that it won't fix such injustices, but if they win it might seem slightly less like a hideous waste of money... Slightly. Go, go Brazil! (Handshake) [Not sympathy, mind, but understanding... And solidarity]

(Hug)(Hug)(Hug)

It will be drastic if Brasil won't win the WC. But there is a problem the players are so young. They didn't play big matches and most of them are playing the WC for the first time in contrast to experienced players of Holland, Germany and Italy.

Chili accompanies Netherlands to the knock-out stage as the first two teams to qualify. Spain has to reconstruct its team. The Tiki-Taka is over !

ZaidAlyafey said:
The Tiki-Taka is over !

Good riddance!

I am hoping, but not expecting, England to do well but I think Brazil will be the team to beat. I want to see Ronaldo cry like a baby which means a Portugal loss, even worse than against Germany.

edit: Belgium would be doing much better if they had Benteke (quality Villa man (Wink))

SuperSonic4 said:
edit: Belgium would be doing much better if they had Benteke (quality Villa man (Wink))

They have a collection of rising stars in many positions but they were not that terrifying in their first match! Lukaku was did nothing and Hazard was not hazardous in most cases.

I think this World Cup will be interesting than ever. USA , Mexico , Columbia or Chili might surprise the big teams in the ranking.

A few friends of mine were gearing up for watching the Iran game the other day, so they bought a box of alcohol-free beer. I thought that was a nice touch... (Beer)(Sun)(Beer)

This Football World Cup seems we're reserving a few surprises. Yesterday, for example, Spain, the defending champion, in the last four years he had earned the reputation of invincibility, has capitulated against Chile and is ready for them the plane that will take them back home. In addition, the home team, which yesterday brought home a broken draw against Mexico, does not seem to be up to the 'legend' that wants them always the masters of the 'football show'. It is curious at this point to recall the previous edition of the World Cup played in Brazil in 1950, when neither I nor most of you were not born yet, that the world is remembered as the 'world of surprises'. The previous world championship was played in 1938, ie 12 years before, in France and was won by Italy, so that he repeated the feat of four years ago. But 12 years had passed, there was the Second World War and only a year before the plane that brought home the Torino team had crashed into the hill of Superga, eliminating nine of the eleven holders of the Italian team. The shock of that tragedy had turned into psychosis when the team refused to take the plane to travel to Brazil and preferred flight across the ocean to a grueling journey by boat from Naples to St. Paul, long three weeks. The players arrived in South America untrained, since the balloons were all ended up in the sea after a few days. Italy lost its opening match with Sweden by 3 to 2, and since his group was three and only one team would have access to the knockout stage was not possible to recover and the team will re-embark for the return trip.

The elimination of Italy, however, was not to be the only surprise. Still in the preliminary phase of the 'masters of football' of England, after the victorious debut against Chile, incredibly lost against the United States: a 1-0 in which many British fans, reading the newspapers the next day, they would not believe imagining a misprint, and that many believe still one of the most shocking moments in sports history Anglo-Saxon (the game has been described in a novel by Geoffrey Douglas, which was then drawn in 2005, the film 'In the field victory ', staring Gerard Butler in the role of U.S. goalkeeper Frank Borghi). The British also lost 1-0 against Spain and were thus eliminated.

Took part in the final round then Sweden, Spain, Uruguay (who had beaten Bolivia 8-0 in the only small tournament two), and the hosts of Brazil, widely favored. After two days, Brazil was leading the standings in the group with 4 points, the result of two resounding victories (13 goals scored and two conceded) against two European. Chasing a Uruguay that, in the first two games of the final round, he struggled more than expected, but that was now the only one who can remove the host team, which would be enough for a tie, the joy of the first title. That which was basically a final was held July 16, 1950 in front of over 170,000 people (but unofficial estimates speak of at least 200,000) to the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro. The hosts took the lead with Friaça start the second half, but when the game seemed to be made, Uruguay equalized with his first star, Schiaffino, and then even went ahead with Ghiggia, giving rise to what in around the world is remembered as the 'Maracanazo'. It was a tragedy for the whole country was proclaimed a national mourning and a lot of people who had staked all his possessions on the victory of Brazil ended in ruin. The Brazilian national team left even the old color of the shirts to switch to a green and gold uniform incorporating the colors of the national flag, keeping only the socks of the original color as a reminder of what happened. Moreover, since at that time the goalkeeper was carioca color, since in Brazil this is considered a 'brings bad luck'. The Uruguay instead celebrated his second victory in two appearances.

Many well! ... We just have to see what other surprises will take us this second edition of the World Cup in Brazil! (Happy)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
Many thanks chi , it is nice to know all these information.

A big match today between Uruguay and England. The two defeated teams in the first round have no chance but winning to restore their hope of making it to the next stage

Bugger

Would it be Suarez who causes England elimination?

ZaidAlyafey said:
Would it be Suarez who causes England elimination?

Not technically but probably. Of course Suarez and Uruguay are graduates of the South American School of Play-Acting.

England going out wouldn't be terrible, I want them to do well but the media has been frankly unsufferable. They mention England several times per game, at half time, full time and pre-game. It's asinine and nationalistic

I'll tell you who shall win the world cup so you might as well give up wondering already. The Germans. I'm gutted that England is out (well, almost) but that style of football has no place in the modern game. And tika-taka isn't dead; del Bosque is. What competent manager would play Xavi and Alonso together when one is abundantly provided with endless array of central midfielders, or a goalkeeper who hasn't played a league game for a year when there are three world class keepers out there who had stellar seasons. Spain has just paid for the stubbornness of their manager; nothing more.

SuperSonic4 said:
Bugger
Bugger indeed!I wonder if Farage can blame this on the EU. Uruguay is in the EU, right? (Heidy)(Heidy)(Heidy)

I know now that in Recife, where they will play the game between Italy and Costa Rica, the temperature is 30 degrees centigrade and 75% humidity ... how to say that they play in a sauna ... the ideal climate for the Central American teams and South American ... this can explain many things about the disappointment of the British fans ... now we will see how Italy will behave!(Worried)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

P.S. Why the next world football cup is not organized in the north of Greenland?(Devil) ...

Last edited:
Looks like I was right (Worried)... it does not matter, just learn (Malthe)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Italy lost today, so England are definitely out. But then, on the other hand, if a quantum singularity just happened to swim by and gobble up all other remaining Group D teams, we could - theoretically - still lose to Germany on penalties. Go, go Engerland! Hmmm! (Bandit)
EDIT:

ps. Bad luck, Chisigma... Hope you have better luck in the next game. (Hug)

A dramatic victory of Algeria considered the biggest of an African team. They have to win against Russia to accompany Belgium to the next round.

A difficult victory of Brasil and Netherlands. This world cup is full of surprises.

A very difficult game this evening, and that's just the commentator trying to pronounce the Greek players!

SuperSonic4 said:
A very difficult game this evening, and that's just the commentator trying to pronounce the Greek players!

A tough game in more ways than one... I was supporting Costa Rica from the start, but Greece deserved to win.

Germany Vs. Brasil. The Brasil squad might be full of absences in the big match. Neymar injury seems terrible.

This is a battering. I was expecting Oezil to make it 8. Sadly Brazil get a consolation

I was in shock. The defense without Silva was a miss. Bernard, Oscar and Fred performed very bad in the tournament.

Prometheus said:
I'll tell you who shall win the world cup so you might as well give up wondering already. The Germans.
It's official. I can see into the future.

Does anyone here wish to buy my services?

Prometheus said:
It's official. I can see into the future.

Does anyone here wish to buy my services?

Saying the Germans will win is like saying Tuesday follows Monday ;)

SuperSonic4 said:
Saying the Germans will win is like saying Tuesday follows Monday ;)
Hey, saying Tuesday follows Monday is a million pound industry. That's what TV pundits are all about, not to mention match commentators. I'm trying to get me self pieze of da pie so don't spoil my bright future.

Prometheus said:
Hey, saying Tuesday follows Monday is a million pound industry. That's what TV pundits are all about, not to mention match commentators. I'm trying to get me self pieze of da pie so don't spoil my bright future.

Ah, but you can make your money two ways.
Whether you say that Tuesday follows Monday, or that Monday comes (some time) after Tuesday, you'll be right either way!

Related to World Cup in Brasil, expectations.

1. What is the expected turnout for the World Cup in Brazil?

The expected turnout for the World Cup in Brazil is estimated to be around 3.5 million fans from all around the world. This is based on previous World Cup events and the popularity of soccer in Brazil.

2. How many stadiums will be used for the World Cup in Brazil?

A total of 12 stadiums will be used for the World Cup in Brazil. These stadiums are located in 12 different cities across the country, with the largest being the Maracanã Stadium in Rio de Janeiro.

3. What are the security measures in place for the World Cup in Brazil?

The Brazilian government has implemented a comprehensive security plan for the World Cup, including increased police presence, surveillance cameras, and strict security checks at stadiums. There will also be a designated security team for each team participating in the tournament.

4. How much revenue is expected to be generated from the World Cup in Brazil?

It is estimated that the World Cup in Brazil will generate around $11 billion in revenue, mostly from ticket sales, sponsorships, and broadcasting rights. This is a significant increase from the previous World Cup in South Africa, which generated around $4 billion.

5. What are the expectations for the Brazilian national team in the World Cup?

The Brazilian national team is expected to perform well in the World Cup, as they are the host country and have a strong history in the tournament. However, there is also pressure on them to win the World Cup on home soil, which could potentially affect their performance. Fans and experts have high expectations for the team, but only time will tell how they will fare in the tournament.