Would a battery pack phone charger case discharge your phone faster?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Nerdydude101
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
So supposedly if you leave your phone plugged into a charger but the charger is not pluged into anything then it will discharge your phone faster, so if the charger cases have a charger connector constantly in your phone will it actually discharge it?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Nerdydude101 said:
So supposedly if you leave your phone plugged into a charger but the charger is not pluged into anything then it will discharge your phone faster, so if the charger cases have a charger connector constantly in your phone will it actually discharge it?

It depends on the topology of the switching power supply in the charger, but in general there is a diode in the output circuit that should limit the discharge current to the leakage current of the output electrolytic capacitor, which is small.

Can you provide a web link to what you are reading? :smile:
 
I'm not really reading anything specific, the question just sort of piped into my head haha. I had heard before that the battery would discharge faster than it normally would (not that they discharge much on their own anyways) and thought that maybe the cases do that too
 
Nerdydude101 said:
I'm not really reading anything specific, the question just sort of piped into my head haha. I had heard before that the battery would discharge faster than it normally would (not that they discharge much on their own anyways) and thought that maybe the cases do that too

That's one of the important differences between the PF and other forums. We do not allow "I heard" sources. If you have a link to a reputable source, please PM me, and I will re-open this thread.