Would a battery pack phone charger case discharge your phone faster?

In summary, leaving your phone plugged into a charger without it being plugged into a power source may cause it to discharge faster. However, the discharge current should be limited by the diode in the output circuit of the charger. The use of charger cases may also depend on the topology of the switching power supply and whether it can limit the discharge current. It is important to have reputable sources when discussing technical topics.
Nerdydude101
So supposedly if you leave your phone plugged into a charger but the charger is not pluged into anything then it will discharge your phone faster, so if the charger cases have a charger connector constantly in your phone will it actually discharge it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nerdydude101 said:
So supposedly if you leave your phone plugged into a charger but the charger is not pluged into anything then it will discharge your phone faster, so if the charger cases have a charger connector constantly in your phone will it actually discharge it?

It depends on the topology of the switching power supply in the charger, but in general there is a diode in the output circuit that should limit the discharge current to the leakage current of the output electrolytic capacitor, which is small.

Can you provide a web link to what you are reading? :smile:

I'm not really reading anything specific, the question just sort of piped into my head haha. I had heard before that the battery would discharge faster than it normally would (not that they discharge much on their own anyways) and thought that maybe the cases do that too

Nerdydude101 said:
I'm not really reading anything specific, the question just sort of piped into my head haha. I had heard before that the battery would discharge faster than it normally would (not that they discharge much on their own anyways) and thought that maybe the cases do that too

That's one of the important differences between the PF and other forums. We do not allow "I heard" sources. If you have a link to a reputable source, please PM me, and I will re-open this thread.

I can say that the answer to this question depends on several factors. Firstly, the type and quality of the battery pack phone charger case will play a significant role in determining whether it will discharge your phone faster or not. If the case is of good quality and has a high-capacity battery, it is less likely to discharge your phone faster.

Secondly, the charging habits of the user also play a crucial role. If the user frequently charges their phone throughout the day, the battery pack case may not be able to keep up with the constant charging and may result in faster discharge of the phone's battery. On the other hand, if the user charges their phone only when needed, the battery pack case can provide a longer battery life.

Additionally, the amount of power being drawn from the battery pack case also affects the discharge rate of the phone's battery. If the phone is being used for power-intensive tasks such as gaming or video streaming while being charged, it may result in a faster discharge of the phone's battery.

In conclusion, it is not accurate to say that a battery pack phone charger case will always discharge your phone faster. The discharge rate depends on various factors, and it is essential to consider them before making a conclusion.

What is a battery pack phone charger case?

A battery pack phone charger case is a phone case that has an additional battery built into it, allowing you to charge your phone on-the-go without needing a separate power source.

Will using a battery pack phone charger case drain my phone's battery faster?

No, using a battery pack phone charger case will not drain your phone's battery faster. In fact, it can help extend the battery life of your phone by providing an additional power source when your phone's battery is running low.

How long does it take for a battery pack phone charger case to fully charge my phone?

The time it takes for a battery pack phone charger case to fully charge your phone will vary depending on the capacity of the case and the capacity of your phone's battery. Typically, it can take anywhere from 1-3 hours to fully charge a phone using a battery pack phone charger case.

Can I use a battery pack phone charger case with any phone?

Most battery pack phone charger cases are designed to be compatible with specific phone models, so it is important to check the compatibility before purchasing. However, there are some universal battery pack phone charger cases that can work with multiple phone models.

Is it safe to leave my phone in a battery pack phone charger case overnight?

Yes, it is generally safe to leave your phone in a battery pack phone charger case overnight. However, it is recommended to unplug the charger once your phone is fully charged to avoid overcharging and potential damage to your phone's battery.