1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would a battery pack phone charger case discharge your phone faster?

1. Jun 29, 2014 #1
    So supposedly if you leave your phone plugged into a charger but the charger is not pluged into anything then it will discharge your phone faster, so if the charger cases have a charger connector constantly in your phone will it actually discharge it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It depends on the topology of the switching power supply in the charger, but in general there is a diode in the output circuit that should limit the discharge current to the leakage current of the output electrolytic capacitor, which is small.

Can you provide a web link to what you are reading? :smile:

4. Jun 29, 2014 #3
    I'm not really reading anything specific, the question just sort of piped into my head haha. I had heard before that the battery would discharge faster than it normally would (not that they discharge much on their own anyways) and thought that maybe the cases do that too

5. Jun 29, 2014 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That's one of the important differences between the PF and other forums. We do not allow "I heard" sources. If you have a link to a reputable source, please PM me, and I will re-open this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook