1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would anyone mind checking my work? - Calc 2

1. Feb 16, 2006 #1
    The images below are scanned images of work for one of my assigned problems in Calculus 2. Right now I am only concerned with integrating in order to find a position function (ignoring the constant of integration for time being).

How does it look? I am checking my work with Maple 10. I do not get the same results when I evaluate Maple's resulting function and my function at the given values for the constants. I can't find my error(s) :( Anyone care to look?

Page 1 -
    http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/8109/page010dy.jpg

Page 2 -
    http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/9177/page028zi.jpg

Page 3 -
    http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2531/page035tl.jpg

Page 4 -
    http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/456/page046xs.jpg

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2006 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

There is an error in the last line of the last page (page 4).
    You multiplied the contents of the square brackets by -u.
    But you forget to change the sign of all of the terms within the square brackets!

4. Feb 17, 2006 #3
    Just out of curiosity, do you always write your work out in that much detail or was that for our benefit? I think my hand would fall off if I wrote every problem I did like that.

5. Feb 17, 2006 #4
    I dont write out all of my homework in this detail. This is a more complicated problem assigned by my instructor that we turn in for a grade. Sometimes it helps out with partial credit if I make some mistakes early in the problem.

I'm anal about my organization. It can be frustrating when I take mathematics tests. I hate having to works problems in a hurry. It causes me to scribble bits and pieces of a problem all over the paper.

I wish mathematics courses, specifically calculus, would put some emphasis on mathematical writing.

When is formal mathematical writing taught in an undergraduate mathematics program?

6. Feb 17, 2006 #5
    I think it would vary from place to place.

As a physics major I was expected to do some writing in my Linear Algebra and Differential Equations classes. Both of those classes had long-term final projects for which I had to write a paper and do a presentation in front of the class, those were both in my Sophomore year. In my Junior year we had long term written assignments in my Classical Mechanics class, this was a requirement by the department since they found that many Physics seniors were having a very hard time doing the kind of writing which is necessary for articles or grant applications. In my senior year (this year, next quarter) I will be expected to write and present a research piece on a subject of my choice, there's an entire 4 unit upper division writing class devoted to this.

Edit: As a Math major I would expect that you'd be doing a lot more writing, I imagine that the upper division math classes largely consist of proofs which you will be expected to write out in some detail.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  7. Feb 17, 2006 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

Yes, very much the case for me as a math major. Real analysis especially so, under grad was tough with the proofs needing to be detailed and rigorous [Rudin], but the grad version was brutal :cry: ! Necessary and sufficient conditions for some obscure theorem to hold :grumpy: it seems that all problems are proofs or disproofs by counter-example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?