Would choosing UC Santa Cruz over better schools be bad?

In summary: Lots of people from Santa Cruz go on to be very successful: Risa Wechsler, Wick Haxton, Eric Ries, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, etc. etc.
333luke
Right now I've got a 4.0 after taking all of calculus and about half my physics and computer science requirements. I'm almost positive I'll be able to get into some better schools but Santa Cruz is where id really like to live. I'm just curious what other people think and how set behind I might be if I chose Santa Cruz over say LA or Davis (not that I've actually gotten in anywhere yet). I don't know anyone in the field so I would love to get some advice on how important the school you went to is when getting a job and if Santa Cruz is actually looked down upon at all. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
UC Santa Cruz is a great school and it isn't at all looked down upon. You can get into any graduate school if that is what you're interested in. I made a similar choice (I got into Stanford but chose to go to a UC campus instead) and it turned out great for me. You need to go to a place you'll be comfortable and enjoy because it will take a lot of work to succeed. Wouldn't you rather excel in a place where you're happy than struggle and be miserable in place with a "better" school?

analogdesign said:
UC Santa Cruz is a great school and it isn't at all looked down upon. You can get into any graduate school if that is what you're interested in. I made a similar choice (I got into Stanford but chose to go to a UC campus instead) and it turned out great for me. You need to go to a place you'll be comfortable and enjoy because it will take a lot of work to succeed. Wouldn't you rather excel in a place where you're happy than struggle and be miserable in place with a "better" school?

Thanks for your response I really appreciate your input!

Of course this is mostly a personal matter, but I know probably half a dozen physics majors from UCSC who did quite well and got into their top choices for grad school. I agree with everything analogdesign said.

Lots of good people came from Santa Cruz: Risa Wechsler and Wick Haxton immediately come to mind.

1. Is UC Santa Cruz considered a "lesser" school compared to other universities?

No, UC Santa Cruz is a highly respected public research university and consistently ranks among the top universities in the world.

2. Will choosing UC Santa Cruz limit my career opportunities?

No, UC Santa Cruz has a strong reputation for producing successful and accomplished graduates who are highly sought after by employers.

3. Is the education at UC Santa Cruz not as rigorous as other universities?

No, UC Santa Cruz has high academic standards and offers a challenging and rigorous curriculum across a variety of fields and majors.

4. Is it worth attending UC Santa Cruz if I have the option to attend a more prestigious university?

That ultimately depends on your personal goals and priorities. UC Santa Cruz offers a unique and diverse learning environment and has a strong reputation in many fields of study.

5. Will choosing UC Santa Cruz over a better school impact my future earning potential?

No, studies have shown that the university you attend does not have a significant impact on your future earnings. Your skills, experience, and work ethic are more important factors in determining your earning potential.