1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would choosing UC Santa Cruz over better schools be bad?

1. Apr 26, 2016 #1
    Right now I've got a 4.0 after taking all of calculus and about half my physics and computer science requirements. I'm almost positive I'll be able to get into some better schools but Santa Cruz is where id really like to live. I'm just curious what other people think and how set behind I might be if I chose Santa Cruz over say LA or Davis (not that I've actually gotten in anywhere yet). I don't know anyone in the field so I would love to get some advice on how important the school you went to is when getting a job and if Santa Cruz is actually looked down upon at all. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2016 #2

analogdesign

Science Advisor

UC Santa Cruz is a great school and it isn't at all looked down upon. You can get into any graduate school if that is what you're interested in. I made a similar choice (I got into Stanford but chose to go to a UC campus instead) and it turned out great for me. You need to go to a place you'll be comfortable and enjoy because it will take a lot of work to succeed. Wouldn't you rather excel in a place where you're happy than struggle and be miserable in place with a "better" school?

4. Apr 26, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your response I really appreciate your input!

5. Apr 29, 2016 #4
    Of course this is mostly a personal matter, but I know probably half a dozen physics majors from UCSC who did quite well and got into their top choices for grad school. I agree with everything analogdesign said.

6. Apr 29, 2016 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Lots of good people came from Santa Cruz: Risa Wechsler and Wick Haxton immediately come to mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted