UCLA vs UC Santa Cruz for undergrad-will the choice affect grad?

In summary, the person is trying to decide between attending UCLA or UC Santa Cruz for an astrophysics undergraduate program. They have heard that Santa Cruz has more opportunities for undergraduate research and smaller class sizes, but they also know that UCLA has a famous reputation. Their long term goal is to attend a PhD program in graduate school, with their dream schools being Caltech or Berkeley. They are willing to work hard wherever they go, but they are concerned about choosing a school that will not lead to burnout. One person suggests choosing UCLA because of its reputation and top-notch researchers, while another suggests visiting both schools and finding the one where they will get a better education. There is also a mention of "weed out" classes at larger universities,
iamburitto
Hi, I'm trying to make a decision! I've gotten accepted into UCLA and UC Santa Cruz for astrophysics undergrad. I absolutely love Santa Cruz, and I've heard that there is more opportunity for undergrad research there, as well as smaller class sizes. However I also know that UCLA has a famous reputation behind it. My long term goal is to go to grad school, preferably into a ph.d program after undergrad. Does my choice here really affect my chances of getting into a good grad school? (My dream is Caltech, second Berkeley, etc. I'm aiming high.) Hard work is not an issue for me, I will work my hardest wherever I go. Thanks!

-Britt

Physics news on Phys.org
iamburitto said:
Hi, I'm trying to make a decision! I've gotten accepted into UCLA and UC Santa Cruz for astrophysics undergrad. I absolutely love Santa Cruz, and I've heard that there is more opportunity for undergrad research there, as well as smaller class sizes. However I also know that UCLA has a famous reputation behind it. My long term goal is to go to grad school, preferably into a ph.d program after undergrad. Does my choice here really affect my chances of getting into a good grad school?

Yes, but not in the way that you think.

The big thing that you have to worry about is not what the admission committee thinks, but to find somewhere that you won't end up hating physics at the end of the experience. Go to both schools, hang around the upper classmen, and figure out which place you feel you will get the better education.

(My dream is Caltech, second Berkeley, etc. I'm aiming high.) Hard work is not an issue for me, I will work my hardest wherever I go. Thanks!

For some people, the problem isn't lack of hard work, but too much hard work. If you work yourself so hard that you burn out or your health suffers, that's not going to be good.

iamburitto said:
Hi, I'm trying to make a decision! I've gotten accepted into UCLA and UC Santa Cruz for astrophysics undergrad. I absolutely love Santa Cruz, and I've heard that there is more opportunity for undergrad research there, as well as smaller class sizes. However I also know that UCLA has a famous reputation behind it. My long term goal is to go to grad school, preferably into a ph.d program after undergrad. Does my choice here really affect my chances of getting into a good grad school? (My dream is Caltech, second Berkeley, etc. I'm aiming high.) Hard work is not an issue for me, I will work my hardest wherever I go. Thanks!

-Britt

UCLA has a much better reputation and top-notch researchers. I'd go to UCLA.

I have heard and read that the astrophysics program at UCSC is second to only berkeley. I would not go to a school based solely on "prestige."

Geezer said:
UCLA has a much better reputation and top-notch researchers. I'd go to UCLA.

As far as astrophysics goes, Santa Cruz has an equal if not better reputation and set of researchers than UCLA. I don't think it's going to make a difference as far as graduate admissions, so the big difference is surviving undergraduate. I was at Santa Cruz for a week because my dissertation advisor was there for a several months long school in which all of the world's leading supernova researchers were there.

One thing that you should look out for are "weed out" classes. Smaller schools tend to have fewer of those than big public universities. I don't know if this applies to UCLA or not, but it is something that I'd find out.

Current physics senior at UCLA. Feel free to ask/PM any questions.

1. Can I get into a good graduate program if I attend UC Santa Cruz for my undergraduate degree?

Yes, attending UC Santa Cruz for your undergraduate degree will not prevent you from getting into a good graduate program. Your academic performance, research experience, and letters of recommendation will have a greater impact on your graduate school admissions than the specific university you attended.

2. Is UCLA considered a better choice for undergraduate studies than UC Santa Cruz?

It depends on your personal preferences and academic goals. UCLA is a larger and more prestigious university with a wider range of academic programs and resources. However, UC Santa Cruz is known for its strong programs in the natural sciences and its small class sizes.

3. Will attending UC Santa Cruz for my undergraduate degree limit my graduate school options?

No, attending UC Santa Cruz for your undergraduate degree will not limit your graduate school options. As long as you have a strong academic record and relevant experience, you will have a wide range of graduate programs to choose from.

4. Are there any notable differences in research opportunities between UCLA and UC Santa Cruz?

Both UCLA and UC Santa Cruz have strong research programs and offer students the opportunity to participate in research projects. However, UCLA's larger size and resources may provide more research opportunities in a wider range of fields.

5. Will attending UCLA give me an advantage in the job market over attending UC Santa Cruz?

Attending UCLA may provide some advantages in the job market due to its prestigious reputation and strong alumni network. However, the most important factor in job success is your own skills, experience, and qualifications, which can be gained at either university.