Would The Position of the Center of Mass Change Position?

In summary, the center of mass will be displaced if a uniform density bar is struck at the very tip perpendicularly by some weight. It depends on how much linear momentum is acquired in the collision and the distance from the center of mass.
student34
Take a uniform density bar in space for example. Would the center of mass move if the bar was struck at the very tip perpendicularly by some weight?

If so, please explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends. If the bar only acquires angular momentum, its center of mass will not move¹². But in any realistic situation, linear momentum will be acquired in this collision and the center of mass will be displaced.

¹] I am assuming the a center of mass is initially at rest.
²] If the bar was not of uniform density, the center of mass could have its position changed even by angular momentum alone.

Note that I am no physics adept.

student34 said:
Take a uniform density bar in space for example. Would the center of mass move if the bar was struck at the very tip perpendicularly by some weight?

If so, please explain.

Is this a homework problem?
What do you think? Is there a force on the bar during collision? What happens when a force acts on the bar?

mafagafo said:
It depends. If the bar only acquires angular momentum, its center of mass will not move¹². But in any realistic situation, linear momentum will be acquired in this collision and the center of mass will be displaced.

¹] I am assuming the a center of mass is initially at rest.
²] If the bar was not of uniform density, the center of mass could have its position changed even by angular momentum alone.

Note that I am no physics adept.

I only want to know for sure.

nasu said:
Is this a homework problem?

no

What do you think? Is there a force on the bar during collision? What happens when a force acts on the bar?

I am not sure, but I do know that the further away from the center of mass the force is the less acceleration the center of mass would have. I just have to imagine tapping the center of the bar with my finger and then tapping the end. So it does seem like the acceleration of the center of mass might go to zero when the force is at the very end of the bar. However, I don't know what physics equation proves this.

student34 said:
no

I am not sure, but I do know that the further away from the center of mass the force is the less acceleration the center of mass would have.
You may need to revise what you think you "know".
For example here:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mechanics/n2ext.html

The acceleration of the center of mass does not depend on the torque of the external force in respect to the center of mass.

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point at which the mass of an object is evenly distributed, or the point where the object would balance if suspended.

2. How is the center of mass determined?

The center of mass can be determined by finding the average position of all the mass in the object, taking into account the distribution and density of the mass.

3. Can the center of mass change position?

Yes, the center of mass can change position if the distribution or amount of mass in an object changes. This can happen if the object is deformed, if mass is added or removed, or if the object is in motion.

4. What factors can cause the center of mass to change position?

The center of mass can change position due to changes in the object's shape, mass, or position. External forces acting on the object can also cause the center of mass to shift.

5. Why is the center of mass important?

The center of mass is important because it can help predict an object's motion and stability. It is also a key concept in understanding rotational motion and can be used to determine the stability of structures.