Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Danger
Gold Member

No. :surprised
I'm terrified of heights. Sure looks cool, though.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Impressive operator. I hope he is well compensated.

I presume someone did the appropriate mechanical analyses.

On the other hand, some people have way too much time on their hands.

What height? :biggrin:

misgfool

It would have to be of really special construction. Especially the third picture makes me skeptical.

Danger
Gold Member

Especially the third picture makes me skeptical.
If you're referring to the apparent defiance of gravity, notice that the front of the tracks is wedged between the step and a topside retainer block. It took me a while to figure that out.

misgfool

If you're referring to the apparent defiance of gravity, notice that the front of the tracks is wedged between the step and a topside retainer block. It took me a while to figure that out.
Oh, I didn't spot that. I was thinking first that the digger was creating a gravitational hill in space geometry.

Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no.

DaveC426913
Gold Member

I have fallen for too many cool things that have later proven to be PhotoChopped or otherwise hoaxed. I have no reason to think this is fake - other than precedent.

You can blame my cynicism on the 'Stunt pilot lands with one wing' video, which shook my faith.

Actually, you can trace my cynicism farther back to the break up of Brad and Jennifer but let's just go with the stunt pilot landing on one wing bit...

Danger
Gold Member

I dunno... that looks entirely real to me. The lighting is consistent throughout, and there seems to be way more detail than a fraudster would bother with.
I'm quite interested to know what that tower is made of. It looks like concrete, but it's hard for me to think of that being strong enough (especially referring to the dimensions of the retainer blocks). I don't know much about structures, though.

F yes I'd do that! Thats awesome!

whoa! that's suicide! no thanks...i won't do it. i salute him anyway(that's a world record):surprised

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

No thanks! I wouldn't even be willing to stand as close as those spectators were to watch.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

There is a video of the same demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RobaJKGMMiE

It's a clever trick. If you look at the tower, it locks the machine in place. It isnt sitting in it, so much as the machine pins itself into place. So it's self locking. Still, I wouldn't do it.

Borek
Mentor
Obviously the tower is made of steel, not a concrete.

Take a look around 5:17, looks like there are additional hooks to make the thing more stable.

What I don't get is - did he get down, or is he still up there?

If I could do that, I would do it in a heartbeat, but only after some training....