Would you do this? Video of tower-climbing excavator

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Video
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 8K views
Engineering news on Phys.org


No.
I'm terrified of heights. Sure looks cool, though.
 


Impressive operator. I hope he is well compensated.

I presume someone did the appropriate mechanical analyses.


On the other hand, some people have way too much time on their hands.


What height? :biggrin:
 


It would have to be of really special construction. Especially the third picture makes me skeptical.
 


misgfool said:
Especially the third picture makes me skeptical.

If you're referring to the apparent defiance of gravity, notice that the front of the tracks is wedged between the step and a topside retainer block. It took me a while to figure that out.
 


Danger said:
If you're referring to the apparent defiance of gravity, notice that the front of the tracks is wedged between the step and a topside retainer block. It took me a while to figure that out.

Oh, I didn't spot that. I was thinking first that the digger was creating a gravitational hill in space geometry.
 


Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no.
 


I have fallen for too many cool things that have later proven to be PhotoChopped or otherwise hoaxed. I have no reason to think this is fake - other than precedent.

You can blame my cynicism on the 'Stunt pilot lands with one wing' video, which shook my faith.

Actually, you can trace my cynicism farther back to the break up of Brad and Jennifer but let's just go with the stunt pilot landing on one wing bit...
 


I dunno... that looks entirely real to me. The lighting is consistent throughout, and there seems to be way more detail than a fraudster would bother with.
I'm quite interested to know what that tower is made of. It looks like concrete, but it's hard for me to think of that being strong enough (especially referring to the dimensions of the retainer blocks). I don't know much about structures, though.
 


whoa! that's suicide! no thanks...i won't do it. i salute him anyway(that's a world record)
 


No thanks! I wouldn't even be willing to stand as close as those spectators were to watch.
 


There is a video of the same demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RobaJKGMMiE
 
It's a clever trick. If you look at the tower, it locks the machine in place. It isn't sitting in it, so much as the machine pins itself into place. So it's self locking. Still, I wouldn't do it.
 
Obviously the tower is made of steel, not a concrete.

Take a look around 5:17, looks like there are additional hooks to make the thing more stable.

What I don't get is - did he get down, or is he still up there?
 
If I could do that, I would do it in a heartbeat, but only after some training...