VERY simple Velocity vs time graph interpretation

In summary: The object moved 4 m at the positive direction and arrived at the origin with a displacement of 16 m.
seanistic
Wow, I'm extremely frustrated with this one.

Homework Statement

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4616/probre1.jpg

I forgot to label the axis's. The X is time and the Y is Velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

Iv done a few things on this one:

First, I figured I would just count the area under it but I submitted the answer and it was wrong

Second, I used x = x(o) + v(o)t plugging in the velocity and time from the graph along with the x(o) which is given in the problem

Any help is appriciated, Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to find the area under the curve to find position.

If you can't maybe this will help: http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/513/17914212vr1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
See, I did that and counted the area under the positive area in the first quadrant and then I subtracted it from the negative area in the 4th quad. I got 29 for the positive area and 6 for the negative, giving me 23 and it was wrong. So I figured maybe I had to add the areas for 35 but that as well came out wrong. :confused:

23m is the displacement. You are asked for the position.

ughh, 1 more hint, I am not getting it

If the initial position is [itex]x(0)=-10 m[/itex] and the displacement is 15 m, what's the final position?

x(0) is 10. I'm confused how the position is different from the displacement. I know the displacement is how far away it is from the orgin no matter how it travels but the position would be. I'm just not seeing it .

You are initial at [itex]x(0)=10 m[/itex]. If your displacement [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is -10 m you should arrive to the origin.

[tex]\Delta x=x_f-x_i\Rightarrow x_f=\Delta x+x_i[/tex]

Do you understand that?

I'm sorry, This isn't making sense to me, I'm usually good with graph interpretation.

Ok, let's try this.

The initial position is 12 m. You walk 4 m at the positive direction. What is your displacement and what is your final position?

displacement would be 4 m and your final position is 16 m. I see where your going with this so I would simply add my displacement to the initial position? make the answer 33?

Correct! :smile:

You know what it was? I was thinking of the X axis as if it were distance even though I KNEW it was time. Because of this I was thinking its position was at 9 and from the initial position it would be -1 m . DUHHH. Thanks so much for your help.

Always it helps if you draw a picture o the actuall movement!
Glad I helped! :smile:

When you take the area under a curve you're finding the change in what ever quantity you're asked for. You need some sort of condition if you want to find the exact value. Without knowing that x(0) = 10m the best you could say about the graph would be the object moved 23m but I can't tell you EXACTLY where it is or EXACTLY where is started. Does that make sense?

What is a velocity vs time graph?

A velocity vs time graph is a visual representation of the velocity of an object over a period of time. The velocity is typically plotted on the y-axis, while time is plotted on the x-axis. This type of graph can show how an object's velocity changes over time, whether it is speeding up, slowing down, or maintaining a constant velocity.

How do you interpret a velocity vs time graph?

To interpret a velocity vs time graph, you need to look at the slope of the graph. A positive slope indicates that the object is moving in the positive direction and is speeding up, while a negative slope indicates that the object is moving in the negative direction and is slowing down. A flat line indicates that the object is maintaining a constant velocity.

What does the area under a velocity vs time graph represent?

The area under a velocity vs time graph represents the displacement of an object. For example, if the graph shows a positive slope, the area under the curve represents the distance traveled by the object in that period of time. If the graph shows a negative slope, the area under the curve represents the distance the object has moved in the opposite direction.

How do you calculate velocity from a velocity vs time graph?

To calculate velocity from a velocity vs time graph, you need to find the slope of the graph. This can be done by choosing two points on the graph and using the formula "rise over run" (velocity = change in distance / change in time). The velocity at any given point on the graph can also be found by drawing a tangent line at that point and finding its slope.

Can a velocity vs time graph tell you about the acceleration of an object?

Yes, a velocity vs time graph can tell you about the acceleration of an object. The slope of the graph at any given point represents the acceleration of the object at that specific time. A steeper slope indicates a higher acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a lower acceleration. A horizontal line on the graph indicates that the object is not accelerating.