Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would you rather be deaf or blind?

1. Apr 7, 2012 #1
    Would you rather be deaf or blind? I'd rather be deaf. It would be extremely terrible not be able to see where I'm going. Though I'd hate to be deaf as well.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2012 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

If only given those two choices I'd pick deafness. I'm pretty sure most people would. We receive a very large portion of our input from the world visually.

4. Apr 7, 2012 #3
    They say the best marriage is between a deaf husband and a blind wife.

5. Apr 7, 2012 #4
    I'd rather lose my sense of hearing, taste, and smell than be blind.

That's how important I think vision is. So yes, I'd definitely rather be deaf than blind.

6. Apr 7, 2012 #5
    I'm practically half-deaf, because my left ear doesn't work. It's annoying, and I suspect being completely deaf would even be much more annoying, but it'd beat being blind any day. I can't even begin to imagine how much I would miss out on if I were blind.

7. Apr 7, 2012 #6
    Deaf.

8. Apr 7, 2012 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Ya kill me! :rofl:

9. Apr 7, 2012 #8
    Deaf. I'd likely commit suicide if I was blind.

10. Apr 7, 2012 #9
    Sick question...

11. Apr 7, 2012 #10
    Why?

12. Apr 7, 2012 #11
    Truly it is not the eyes that are blind ...

13. Apr 7, 2012 #12
    I'd have to choose deafness if I had such a choice.

It would suck quite a bit since I'm a musician, but there are some up sides to being a musician as well. I can sit down and read a conductors score of a symphony and have it play in my head so I still believe I would be able to experience new music (or at least music I haven't been exposed to) and still hear it ... at least in my head. Yay for decades of theory and ear training.

I think I would have to almost give up on my current career path if I were blind, but I'm not sure how much being deaf would really matter, especially since I'd still be able to talk as well as I do now. I don't have a car anyway since I live in a city, so not having a license wouldn't be that bad, and I still could drive in an emergency ... not like you forget how. I imagine the main issue would be having to learn to read lips and sign, which isn't much worse than simply learning a new language anyway.

Heck, even with modern cell phones / texting and all that, if Debra couldn't yell to me if she were in another room she could just text and it would vibrate and all that.

Going down that technology road even more: with all the developments in smart phones and even companies working on building smart phones into eye glasses with voice command, I wouldn't be surprised if within a decade, there would be a simple pair of smart eyeglasses that could take sounds around you and display text (assuming it's language) on the display for you to read ... even translating it into your native language. There could easily be an app for showing deaf people the direction sounds are coming from to alert them to their environment.

So yeah, overall I'd gladly choose losing my hearing over losing my sight if I were posed with such an awful choice.

14. Apr 7, 2012 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I would choose blindness.
    Not being able to talk to people, hear what they say??
    Going around in complete isolation from warm, rude, courteous and impudent human voices??

THAT is a nightmare..

15. Apr 7, 2012 #14
    Deaf, easily.

16. Apr 7, 2012 #15
    Deaf. If you are blind you would lose much of your independence.

17. Apr 7, 2012 #16

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

rather than what?

18. Apr 7, 2012 #17

drizzle

Gold Member

:biggrin:

I'd say neither, but I think it's easier to be blind than being deaf, IMO.

19. Apr 7, 2012 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you do go deaf, arildno, I'll try to drop by every now and then to give you a hug and show you the finger =)

20. Apr 7, 2012 #19

Danger

Gold Member

I'm with Arildno and Gad on this. Two of my nieces and a nephew are blind due to hereditary retinitis pigmentosa, and get along very well.
    I personally have been temporarily deaf and temporarily blind (not at the same time) due to various medical conditions. As much as I love doodling and sketching and whatnot for my mechanical or make-up designs, I could probably do both without vision, using 3D media. Deafness completely disoriented me, even with my vision intact.
    I could still partake of PF, since my Mac will talk to me.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  21. Apr 7, 2012 #20
    I'm surprised to see that anyone would choose to be blind over deaf. It seems like being blind disallows you to do a lot more things than being deaf does.
    If you watch the movie See No Evil Hear No Evil, you can tell that the blind guy was by far more disabled than the deaf guy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook