Would you recommend this math course?

• Thread starter Physics-UG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, this course is not really applicable to what I want to do in the future. I would talk to my adviser about other courses to take.
Physics-UG
I was looking though some math courses to add to my schedule this coming year and came across "logic and foundations". It seems interesting enough to take, but I'm not sure how "applicable" it would be in terms of future math/physics work. The description on the course is:
Logic and quantifiers, basic set theory, mathematical induction and recursive definitions, divide and conquer recurrence relations, properties of integers, counting, functions and relations, countable and uncountable sets, asymptotic notation.
Do you guys think this would be a good course to take, or is it sort of outside of what could be more useful?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should give your educational goal and your background before one could assess the value of any course.

Likes FocusOnTruth
If you are planning on formal mathematics courses in your future then yes you probably should. Otherwise it is debatable as to the usefulness.

Sorry, gleem, ultimately I'm looking into astrophysics. As per the exact area of study, I'm unsure, as I still have a couple years to go. I do have an interest in cosmology though.

I don't think that this course would be the best use of your time. I would talk with your adviser or faculty member for a better choice.

One thing you might learn from that course is how mathematicians think and talk and reason. Thus it could be useful in understanding and doing better in future math courses and in reading math books.

mathwonk said:
One thing you might learn from that course is how mathematicians think and talk and reason. Thus it could be useful in understanding and doing better in future math courses and in reading math books.
gleem said:
I don't think that this course would be the best use of your time. I would talk with your adviser or faculty member for a better choice.

That's why I was curious about taking it. I still have several math courses left to take, as well, my advisor recommended it. However, he recommended it as an option for opening up a math minor, not for the fact that it helps my major.

If you are interested in Cosmology you might consider Topology or Differential Geometry if they wre not on your recommended list. The little non technical book "How the Universe Got Its Spots" by Janna Levin might be of interest to you.

gleem said:
If you are interested in Cosmology you might consider Topology or Differential Geometry if they wre not on your recommended list. The little non technical book "How the Universe Got Its Spots" by Janna Levin might be of interest to you.
I'll look into all of those. Thanks a bunch!

Thank you to everyone else who helped!

1. What topics are covered in this math course?

This math course covers topics such as algebra, geometry, statistics, and trigonometry.

2. Is this math course suitable for beginners?

Yes, this math course is suitable for beginners as it starts with basic concepts and builds upon them.

3. How is the course structured? Is there a lot of homework and tests?

The course is structured with lectures, practice problems, and exams. There is a moderate amount of homework and tests to ensure understanding of the material.

4. Are there any prerequisites for this math course?

Yes, students should have a basic understanding of arithmetic and be comfortable with basic algebraic concepts.

5. How accessible is the instructor? Are there opportunities for one-on-one help?

The instructor is accessible during office hours and via email. There are also opportunities for one-on-one help during tutoring sessions and study groups.