Write down the general normalizable solution

• Thread starter shannon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the problem asks for the general normalizable solution to the time independent Schrodinger equation in the case of E<0, without imposing any boundary conditions. The solution can be divided into three regions and each region has a specific wavefunction. The boundary conditions require continuity and a specific change in the derivative of the wavefunction across the delta potential.
shannon

Homework Statement

potential V(x)=-αδ(x+a)-αδ(x-a)
write down the general normalizable solution to the time independent Schrodinger equation in the case E<0, without yet imposing any boundary conditions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided this problem into three regions x<=-a, x>=a and -a<x<a, then I got general solutions for each region, then added all those gen. solutions and got:
Ψ(x)=Aexp(Kx)+Bexp(-Kx)+[Cexp(Kx)+Dexp(-Kx)]
K=(-2mE/h)^1/2

I don't think this is right though...
can you help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you adding each solution? Remember that each solution for the TISE is applicable only in those regions.

The boundary conditions would be that the wavefunction is continious and the change in the derivative of the wavefunction across the delta potential is some value.

You can write your solution as
[tex]\Psi(x) = \begin{cases} \Psi_L(x) & x \le -a \\ \Psi_C(x) & -a < x < a \\ \Psi_R(x) & x \ge a \end{cases}[/tex]
(where [itex]\Psi_{L,C,R}[/itex] are solutions of the Schrödinger equation on the given domains) and that will do.

1. What is a normalizable solution?

A normalizable solution is a mathematical concept in which the solution to an equation or problem can be scaled or normalized to have a finite value. In other words, it is a solution that does not result in infinite or undefined values.

2. How do you write down a general normalizable solution?

To write down a general normalizable solution, you would first need to understand the equation or problem at hand. Then, using mathematical principles and techniques, you would derive a solution that can be scaled or normalized to have finite values. This solution would be considered the general normalizable solution.

3. Why is it important to have a normalizable solution?

Having a normalizable solution is important because it allows for a more accurate and precise representation of a problem. It also ensures that the solution does not result in infinite or undefined values, which can lead to errors and inaccuracies in further calculations or applications.

4. Can a general normalizable solution be applied to all problems?

No, a general normalizable solution cannot be applied to all problems. The applicability of a normalizable solution depends on the characteristics and properties of the specific problem. Some problems may not have a normalizable solution at all.

5. How does a normalizable solution differ from a general solution?

A normalizable solution is a specific type of solution that can be scaled or normalized, while a general solution is a more broad and inclusive term that refers to any solution to a problem. A normalizable solution is a subset of the general solution category.