1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write down the ode satisfied by a characteristic curve

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i)write down the general form of a semi lenear first order pde in the unknown u(x,y)
    ii)write down the ode satisfied by a characteristic curve in the x-y plane for your pde
    ii)give a careful derivation of the ode satisfied by u(x,y) along such a charcteristic curve.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i)[itex] a(x,y) \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + b(x,y) \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = g(x,y,u) [/itex]

ii) the characteristic traces are given by [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] = a(x,y) and [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] = b(x,y) and [itex]\frac{du}{dt}[/itex] = g(x,y,u) so is one of these what i'm looking for?

iii) since [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] = a(x,y) along our characteristic we get t in term of x, provided a(x,y) [itex]\neq[/itex] 0. We can also express y in terms of x.

the chainrule gives[itex]\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] and so [itex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}} = \frac{b(x,y)}{a(x,y)} [/itex] along the projected trace

=> the projected trace satisfies the ODE [itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{b(x,y)}{a(x,y)}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2011 #2
    Re: P.D.E.s

Anyone know where i can find information on region of influence of initial conditions?
    I cant get my head around it...

4. Aug 22, 2011 #3

Can anyone confirm, is my theory right here?

5. Aug 22, 2011 #4

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I would give the thumbs up with the above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook