Write down the ode satisfied by a characteristic curve

In summary, the chainrule gives \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{b(x,y)}{a(x,y)} along the projected trace, which satisfies the ODE \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{b(x,y)}{a(x,y)}.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

i)write down the general form of a semi lenear first order pde in the unknown u(x,y)
ii)write down the ode satisfied by a characteristic curve in the x-y plane for your pde
ii)give a careful derivation of the ode satisfied by u(x,y) along such a charcteristic curve.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i)[itex] a(x,y) \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + b(x,y) \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = g(x,y,u) [/itex]

ii) the characteristic traces are given by [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] = a(x,y) and [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] = b(x,y) and [itex]\frac{du}{dt}[/itex] = g(x,y,u) so is one of these what I'm looking for?

iii) since [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] = a(x,y) along our characteristic we get t in term of x, provided a(x,y) [itex]\neq[/itex] 0. We can also express y in terms of x.

the chainrule gives[itex]\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] and so [itex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}} = \frac{b(x,y)}{a(x,y)} [/itex] along the projected trace

=> the projected trace satisfies the ODE [itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{b(x,y)}{a(x,y)}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org

Anyone know where i can find information on region of influence of initial conditions?
I can't get my head around it...

gtfitzpatrick said:

Homework Statement

i)write down the general form of a semi lenear first order pde in the unknown u(x,y)
ii)write down the ode satisfied by a characteristic curve in the x-y plane for your pde
ii)give a careful derivation of the ode satisfied by u(x,y) along such a charcteristic curve.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i)[itex] a(x,y) \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + b(x,y) \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = g(x,y,u) [/itex]

ii) the characteristic traces are given by [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] = a(x,y) and [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] = b(x,y) and [itex]\frac{du}{dt}[/itex] = g(x,y,u) so is one of these what I'm looking for?

iii) since [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] = a(x,y) along our characteristic we get t in term of x, provided a(x,y) [itex]\neq[/itex] 0. We can also express y in terms of x.

the chainrule gives[itex]\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] and so [itex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}} = \frac{b(x,y)}{a(x,y)} [/itex] along the projected trace

=> the projected trace satisfies the ODE [itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{b(x,y)}{a(x,y)}[/itex]

Can anyone confirm, is my theory right here?

I would give the thumbs up with the above.

Related to Write down the ode satisfied by a characteristic curve

1. What is a characteristic curve in scientific terms?

A characteristic curve is a graphical representation of a relationship between two variables, typically plotted on a Cartesian coordinate system. It is used to illustrate the behavior of a particular system or phenomenon.

2. How is an ode satisfied by a characteristic curve?

An ode, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. When a characteristic curve is plotted, it can satisfy an ode by representing the solution to the ode at different points along the curve.

3. Can a characteristic curve satisfy multiple odes?

Yes, a single characteristic curve can satisfy multiple odes. This is because different odes can have the same solution, and thus can be represented by the same characteristic curve.

4. How is a characteristic curve used in scientific research?

Characteristic curves are commonly used in scientific research as a tool for analyzing and understanding complex systems. They can help researchers visualize and interpret data, as well as make predictions about the behavior of a system.

5. Are there different types of characteristic curves?

Yes, there are different types of characteristic curves that can be used for different purposes. Some examples include phase diagrams, stability curves, and bifurcation curves. The type of characteristic curve used will depend on the specific system or phenomenon being studied.