1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rings and Fields - Write down the nine elements of F9

1. Sep 23, 2010 #1
    Rings and Fields - Write down the nine elements of F9

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In F9 = Z/3Z, there is no solution of the equation x^2 = −1, just as in R. So “invent”
    a solution, call it 'i'. Then 'i' is a new “number” which satisfies i^2 = −1. Consider
    the set F9 consisting of all numbers a+bi, with a,b in F9. Add and multiply these
    numbers as though they were polynomials in 'i', except whenever you get i^2 replace
    it by −1.
    (i) Write down the nine elements of F9 .
    (ii) Show that every nonzero element of F9 has an inverse, so that F9 is a
    field.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know im supposed to show you that ive tried the question if i want an answer. Believe me, i have tried it. Im just really confused by the wording of the question and am not really sure what they are looking for in part a. Once i get part a, im pretty sure id be able to get part b on my own.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2
    Re: Rings and Fields - Write down the nine elements of F9

You are told that F9 = {a+bi | a,b in F9}. The first part is asking you to try out all the elements. So for example, 1+2i is an element.
    The second part is asking you to show that for all a+bi in F9, there is some c+di such that (a+bi)(c+di) = 1. Try writing the inverse out using a and b in some way, then multiply it out to check if you are correct and get 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook