1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing a differential equation to describe cooling

1. Jun 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Newton's Law of Cooling states that the temperature of an object changes at a rate proportional to the difference between the temperature of the object itself and the temperature of its environment.

Suppose the ambient air temperature is 70*F and that the rate constant is 0.05min^-1.

Write a differential equation for the temperature change the object undergoes.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Just starting with DE in preparation for fall.

I just wrote:

let q be heat, t be time in minutes.

(dq/dt) = 0.05(q-70)

Is that really it?

And solving this differential equation, would mean finding a function, q(t), such that its derivative is equal to itself, minus 70, times 0.05, for any value of t?

Does that mean that modeling and solving differential equations is mainly a method of finding an equation that models a situation by examining the behavior of its rate of change?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it is that easy, if your 'heat' variable q means temperature.

4. Jun 25, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, it is NOT quite that easy! If the initial temperature, q, is greater than the ambient temperature, 70, then the object will cool! That is, q will decrease and dq/dt is negative. If the initial temperature, q, is lower than the ambient temperature, 70, then the object will warm! That is, q will increase and dq/dt is positive.

dq/dt= 0.05(70- q) or dq/dt= -0.05(q- 70)

5. Jun 25, 2012 #4
    Since it introduced it as the "law of cooling" my instinct was to write a de for the rate of cooling, not heating.

6. Jun 25, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Halls is right. I missed the sign. You have to think about the physics of the situation to get the right sign. If u is greater than 70 it should be cooling, if u is less the 70 it should be heating.

7. Jun 25, 2012 #6
    I understand what you are saying. I mean that I "chose" a drop in temperature to be positive. I see why this may be considered awkward.

8. Jun 25, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's worse than awkward. It's wrong. I was sloppy in overlooking it. Sorry.

9. Jun 25, 2012 #8
    Still easy. :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook