1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing A Map As A Composition of Three Linear/Bilinear Maps

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the map F: C0([a,b],Rn) --> R, F([tex]\phi[/tex])=[tex]\int\phi(t)\phi(t)[/tex]dt (This is the integral from a to b). Write F as a composition of three maps, each of which is linear or bilinear. Then use the chain rule and generalized product rule to compute DF([tex]\phi[/tex]).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The only maps I could think of would be something like this:

[tex]\phi[/tex]: [a,b] --> Rn

A: C0([a,b],Rn) --> C0([a,b],Rn)

And then maybe I would need a map for [tex]\phi[/tex][tex]\phi[/tex]? But I'm not sure what that would be or if that's even correct. I'm not even sure that I am on the right track at all with the maps. Does anyone have any ideas?

Is it possible that F is one of the three maps? So that the composition becomes F of A of phi?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Of course, [itex]\int f(t)dt[/itex] is a linear function, from the set of integrable functions to the set of real numbers, itself. Are you including that? And f(x,y)= xy is multi-linear.

4. Feb 5, 2009 #3
    I'm not sure I know what you mean.:confused:

Isn't F already that map of integrable functions? Or will I need a more general one such as I: C0([a,b],Rn) --> Rn as one of my maps?

Then, what I'm thinking is that it should be:

I of 'something' of phi. I can't figure out what that middle map would be though.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook