Writing Ionic Formulas, Given the ions

In summary, the formula for potassium chromate is K2CrO4. This can be determined by balancing the charges of K+ and CrO42-, with the assumption that the charge on CrO42- is -2. This means that there are 2 potassium atoms for every 1 chromium atom and 4 oxygen atoms in the compound. The notation CrO42- actually means (CrO4)2-.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

Potassium chromate is an important compound of chromium. It is composed of K+
and CrO42-. Write the formula of the compound.

Homework Equations

positive charge + negative charge = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do this problem by cross switching the charges but I want to know how to do it by finding the ratio. So what I tried to do was say that it takes 8 K to equal the negative charge of the CrO4 so the ration is 8:4. That means K8 = CrO4. Then I reduced and got K2 = CrO. The correct answer is K2 = CrO4.

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to think that each oxygen has a double negative charge. This is not true. The TOTAL charge on CrO42- is -2. So, consider K+ as A and CrO42- as B and now try to balance the charges assuming charge on B is -2.

Hope this helps! :)
-Adithyan

In other words: CrO42- means (CrO4)2-.

OK I get it now. Thanks!

I would like to commend you for trying to understand the ratio method for writing ionic formulas. However, in this case, your approach is not entirely correct. The ratio method is used for covalent compounds, not ionic compounds. In ionic compounds, the charges of the ions must be balanced to achieve a neutral compound. In this case, the charges of K+ and CrO42- are already balanced, so there is no need to find a ratio. The correct way to write the formula for potassium chromate is K2CrO4, as you have mentioned. This is because the charges of K+ and CrO42- are 2+ and 2-, respectively, so they balance each other out. I hope this helps clarify any confusion.

1. How do I know which ions combine to form an ionic compound?

To determine which ions combine to form an ionic compound, you will need to look at the charges of each ion. Oppositely charged ions will combine to form an ionic bond.

2. How do I write the formula for an ionic compound given the ions?

To write the formula for an ionic compound, you will need to use the crisscross method. Write the symbol for the cation (positive ion) first, followed by the symbol for the anion (negative ion). Then, crisscross the absolute value of each ion's charge to determine the subscripts for each ion in the compound.

3. What is the difference between a cation and an anion?

A cation is a positively charged ion, meaning it has lost one or more electrons. An anion is a negatively charged ion, meaning it has gained one or more electrons. Cations and anions combine to form ionic compounds.

4. How do I determine the charges of ions in an ionic compound?

The charges of ions in an ionic compound can be determined by looking at the periodic table. Elements in the same column, or group, have similar properties and therefore tend to form ions with the same charge. For example, elements in group 1 tend to form cations with a +1 charge, while elements in group 17 tend to form anions with a -1 charge.

5. Can the subscripts in an ionic compound be simplified?

Yes, the subscripts in an ionic compound can be simplified if they have a common factor. For example, if the formula for an ionic compound is Na2O4, the subscripts can be simplified to Na1O2, giving the formula Na2O4 a ratio of 1:2. This is known as the simplest ratio for the compound.