Wrong answer on Linear Algebra and Its Applications 4th Ed.

In summary, you correctly identified that there are infinitely many valid scalars for a linear combination of a1, a2, and a3, and that the answer in the book is incorrect. Additionally, if the third row of the RREF had a non-zero entry only in the 4th column, then no linear combination would be possible.
mafagafo

Homework Statement

upload_2016-8-20_20-7-48.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\left[
\begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 0 & 5 & 2 \\
-2 & 1 & -6 & -1 \\
0 & 2 & 8 & 6
\end{array}
\right]
\sim
\left[
\begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 0 & 5 & 2 \\
0 & 1 & 4 & 3 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]

From the RREF it is clear to me that (2, 3, 0) are valid scalars for a linear combination and there are infinitely many such solutions. However, the answer in the back of the book suggests otherwise.

upload_2016-8-20_20-7-26.png

More than anything, I am asking for confirmation that my understanding is correct and that the provided answer is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no expert in linear algebra, (I received a B in a college course in it many years ago), but your assessment looks correct. I tried to do a Kramer's rule solution for this one, but the denominator determinant along with all 3 numerator determinants are zero==>> Kramer's rule didn't supply any solutions, but you correctly identified a solution. For this problem a3=5(a1)+4(a2) so you don't have 3 vectors that are linearly independent. B can be written as all kinds of (infinitely many) linear combinations of a1, a2, and a3 so the question is really somewhat ambiguous in my opinion for the problem that they gave you. Perhaps a better worded question is, Can "b" be written as one and only one specific linear combination of a1, a2, and a3? In any case I think you analyzed it correctly. editing...Another way to look at this one is the vectors a1, a2, and a3 all lie in the same plane and b also lies in this plane. additional editing...And if "b" didn't lie in this plane as well, then it could not have been written as a linear combination of a1, a2, and a3. Then there simply would have been no solution instead of infinitely many solutions.

Last edited:
Likes mafagafo
Charles Link said:
In any case I think you analyzed it correctly.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Likes Charles Link
@mafagafo For a little additional info, I edited post #2=I added a couple of things.

Likes mafagafo
mafagafo said:

Homework Statement

upload_2016-8-20_20-7-48-png.104909.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B][tex]
\left[
\begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 0 & 5 & 2 \\
-2 & 1 & -6 & -1 \\
0 & 2 & 8 & 6
\end{array}
\right]
\sim
\left[
\begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 0 & 5 & 2 \\
0 & 1 & 4 & 3 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]From the RREF it is clear to me that (2, 3, 0) are valid scalars for a linear combination and there are infinitely many such solutions. However, the answer in the back of the book suggests otherwise.
upload_2016-8-20_20-7-26-png.104908.png

More than anything, I am asking for confirmation that my understanding is correct and that the provided answer is wrong.
You are correct. There are infinite linear combinations of a1, a2, and a3 which gibe b .

Another is a3 - a2 - 3 a1 = b .

As Charles points out, a1, a2, and a3 lie in the same plane. Thus, they are not linearly independent, but the question does not ask about that.

If the third row of the Reduced Row Echelon Form had a non-zero entry only in the 4th column, then no linear combination would be possible.

Likes mafagafo and Charles Link
SammyS said:
You are correct.

(...)

If the third row of the Reduced Row Echelon Form had a non-zero entry only in the 4th column, then no linear combination would be possible.

Thanks for confirming.

1. Why is it important to get the right answer in linear algebra?

Getting the right answer in linear algebra is crucial because it is the foundation for a variety of mathematical concepts and applications. Understanding linear algebra is essential for solving complex problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science.

2. What are some common mistakes made in solving linear algebra problems?

Some common mistakes made in solving linear algebra problems include forgetting to account for negative signs, making calculation errors, and using the wrong formulas or methods. It is important to double-check your work and be familiar with the basic principles of linear algebra to avoid these mistakes.

3. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of linear algebra, it is important to practice regularly and work through a variety of problems. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or a tutor for extra support and guidance.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve linear algebra problems?

While calculators can be useful for basic calculations in linear algebra, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and methods in order to solve more complex problems. Relying solely on a calculator can hinder your understanding and limit your ability to apply linear algebra to real-world situations.

5. Are there any real-life applications of linear algebra?

Yes, linear algebra has many real-life applications, including image and signal processing, data analysis, cryptography, and machine learning. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to model and solve problems in the real world.