X-Ray Absorption: 0.7cm Bone Thickness | Homework Help

• Thread starter Jimmy87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    X-ray
In summary, a radiographer directs a parallel beam of X-Rays at a patient's leg bone in a hospital. The attenuation coefficient of bone is 0.7cm-1 and to 1 sig fig, the intensity of X-Rays transmitted through a thickness of 0.7cm is 60%, rather than the given answer of 40%.
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

A radiographer in a hospital directs a parallel beam of X-Rays at the leg bone of a patient. The attenuation coefficient of bone is 0.7cm-1.

To 1 sig fig. what is the intensity of X-Rays transmitted through bone of thickness 0.7cm?

Homework Equations

I = I₀e-μx

Where I is transmitted intensity, I₀ is original intensity, μ is attenuation coefficient and x is thickness.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a multiple choice question and the answer is 40%. I’m pretty sure this answer is wrong. I got 60% - could someone confirm? Or have I made a silly mistake?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I also get 60%. The answer, 40%, is the absorbed intensity.

Likes Jimmy87

What is X-Ray Absorption?

X-Ray absorption is a process in which X-rays pass through a material and are absorbed at varying rates depending on the composition and thickness of the material.

What does 0.7cm Bone Thickness refer to in X-Ray Absorption?

0.7cm bone thickness refers to the distance that the X-rays must travel through the bone in order to reach the other side. This measurement is important in determining the absorption rate of the X-rays.

How does X-Ray Absorption help in medical imaging?

X-Ray absorption plays a crucial role in medical imaging as it allows doctors to visualize internal structures of the body by measuring the amount of X-rays that are absorbed by different tissues. This can help in diagnosing various health conditions, such as fractures, tumors, and other abnormalities.

What factors can affect X-Ray Absorption?

The factors that can affect X-Ray absorption include the composition, thickness, and density of the material being examined. The energy level of the X-rays, as well as the angle at which they are directed, can also impact the absorption rate.

What are some applications of X-Ray Absorption besides medical imaging?

X-Ray absorption is also used in other fields such as material science, chemistry, and geology. It can be used to study the structure and composition of various materials, as well as to detect and analyze different elements present in a sample.