X-ray absorption spectroscopy - fine edge structure

In summary, the fine edge structure next to the absorbing edge in an XAS arises from the photoelectron wave interacting with neighboring atoms. This interaction affects the absorption coefficient of the material, however, the exact mechanism is not fully understood.
lavster
Hi,

could someone tell me how the fine edge structure next the the absorbing edge in an XAS arises? from my understanding an XAS is a plot of absorption coefficient against energy of incoming xray. The absorption edge is at an energy corresponding to when the energy is just sufficient to excite an electron from the core shell to the vacuum. The fine edge structure is then somehting to do with the photoelectron wave but i didnt understand what i says in the literature...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I guess it should be due to photoelectron, which leaves are scattered again by neighbouring atoms.

but why/how does this make any difference to the absorption coefficient of the material?!

What is X-ray absorption spectroscopy?

X-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS) is a technique used to study the electronic and atomic structure of materials. It involves shining high-energy X-rays onto a sample and measuring the amount of X-rays absorbed by the sample at different energies.

How does X-ray absorption spectroscopy work?

XAS works by measuring the energy of X-rays that are absorbed by a sample. The absorption of X-rays causes electrons in the sample to move to higher energy levels, and the energy of the absorbed X-rays corresponds to the energy difference between these levels. By analyzing the energy spectrum of the absorbed X-rays, researchers can gather information about the electronic and atomic structure of the sample.

What is the fine edge structure in X-ray absorption spectroscopy?

The fine edge structure in XAS refers to the detailed shape of the absorption spectrum near the absorption edge. This structure can provide information about the electronic and atomic environment of the absorbing atom, such as its oxidation state, coordination number, and local symmetry.

What types of samples can X-ray absorption spectroscopy analyze?

XAS can be used to analyze a wide range of samples, including solids, liquids, and gases. It is commonly used in materials science, chemistry, and physics research to study the structure and properties of materials, as well as in environmental and biological sciences to analyze the composition of samples.

What are some advantages of X-ray absorption spectroscopy?

XAS has several advantages over other spectroscopic techniques. It is non-destructive, meaning that the sample is not altered during the measurement process. It has high sensitivity and can provide detailed information about the local atomic and electronic structure of a sample. It is also a relatively fast and precise technique, making it useful for a wide range of applications.