Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X86 assembly procedure prologue help.

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1

perplexabot

Gold Member

Hey all, I was doing a bit of reading and ran into the following code (this is a function prologue for a main function, if you need more code or the actual C code let me know):

push ebp
    mov ebp, esp
    sub esp, 0x18
    and esp, 0xblackf0
    mov eax, 0x0
    sub esp, eax

So I understand the first three lines. first save the base pointer to the stack, second assign the base pointer and lastly set the new stack pointer with enough space for the local variables.

What I don't understand are the last three lines. I know what the and, mov and sub opcodes do but I can't get the general picture. Also what exactly is eax used for? Is it a gpr? Those last three lines dont appear in regular functions, so I am guessing it has something to do with the main function.

Any help will be much appreciated, thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2013 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

"and esp, 0xblackf0" - truncates esp to a 16 byte boundary

"mov eax, 0x0" "sub esp, eax" - accomplishes nothing.

4. Sep 16, 2013 #3

perplexabot

Gold Member

Hmmm thank you. If you don't mind me asking though, why truncate it and why have the second to last line if it does nothing (I can see that it does nothing)?

Thanks.

5. Sep 16, 2013 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

One possibility is that some type of structure that is some multiple of 16 bytes long could be allocated on the stack. For example, the "mov eax, 0x0", could instead be "mov eax, 0x40", to allocate 64 bytes from the stack on a 16 byte boundary. I haven't seen this done with any of the microsoft compilers I use. Perhaps the space is allocated for some type of optional debug mode.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  6. Sep 16, 2013 #5

perplexabot

Gold Member

Thank you.

7. Sep 17, 2013 #6

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That may be to optimize the access speed to physical memory, and/or the CPU chip's memory cache(s).

I'm not sure, but could that reset some of the CPU flags to a known state? (this sort of trick can be quicker than setting the flags directly).

It certainly sets eax to a known state, so it does accomplish "something".

8. Sep 17, 2013 #7

rcgldr

Homework Helper

The flags are just set to indicate the unsigned result is greater than zero (esp - 0). I doubt it's used, as the cpu flags will get set again on any math like instruction that occurs later.

But it's likely that eax is going to get changed during the function. eax is the return values so a return(0) will translate into "mov eax,0", or more likely "xor eax,eax", but at the end of the function, just before "ret". As mentioned before, I haven't seen those last 3 lines of function header code with microsoft compilers.

9. Sep 17, 2013 #8

perplexabot

Gold Member

Interesting, I didn't know that eax was for the return values. Good info. Thanks.
    I also was wondering if those last three lines were compiler optimizations.

10. Sep 18, 2013 #9

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Just the opposite, optimization would not add lines of code that accomplish nothing. What compiler generated that code?

11. Sep 18, 2013 #10

perplexabot

Gold Member

Hmmm, that makes sense, thank you for correcting my logic. This was disassembled using gdb.

12. Sep 18, 2013 #11

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I was wondering what compiler created that code, not how you disassembled it.

13. Sep 18, 2013 #12

perplexabot

Gold Member

Oops, sorry, was compiled using gcc.

14. Sep 18, 2013 #13

rcgldr

Homework Helper

See what the various options are for gcc, perhaps ones that disable any debug stuff and increase optimization to see if you get the same function entry code.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook