(x_n)->0 and lim(x_n)sin(1/(x_n))=0 help?

• Thread starter Unassuming
  • Start date
In summary: Therefore, \lim_{n \to \infty} x_n\sin\frac{1}{x_n} = 0In summary, the limit of (x_n)sin(1/x_n) as n approaches infinity is 0, using the squeeze theorem.
Unassuming
(x_n)-->0 and lim(x_n)sin(1/(x_n))=0 ...help?

Homework Statement

Let [tex]x_n[/tex] be a sequence in R with [tex]x_n \rightarrow 0 [/tex] and [tex] x_n \neq 0[/tex] for all n. Prove that [tex] lim (x_n) sin \frac{1}{x_n} = 0[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I might have a solution if I say that if [tex]x_n \rightarrow 0[/tex], then [tex] \frac{1}{x_n} \rightarrow \infty[/tex].

Then [tex] sin \frac{1}{x_n} \times (x_n) \rightarrow 0 [/tex]. This might or might not be a good method.

Anyway, ... I am required to use the squeeze thrm to prove this. Could somebody give me a hint on which two outer limits to use?

Physics news on Phys.org

Are you sure that xn converges to 0? Suppose the sequence is 1, 1/2, 1/3, ... which converges to 0. The sine sequence is sin 1, sin 2, sin 3, ... which I highly doubt converges to 0.

The problem states that "if" x_n approaches 0 then the limit of (x_n)sin(1/x_n) approaches 0. I assume we have to use that information.

Hint: try to show that [itex]-abs(x_n) \leq x_nsin \left(\frac{1}{x_n} \right) \leq abs(x_n)[/itex] for all n. If you can do that, then just apply the squeeze theorem and your done.

Edit- you can't just say that lim x_n ->0 of x_nsin(1/x_n) is zero because x_n goes to zero...the limit of sin(1/x_n) does not exist so [itex]\lim ( x_n sin(1/x_n)) \neq (\lim (x_n))(\lim (sin(1/x_n))) [/itex]

Please let me know if I need more rigor on this...

"Proof"

Since [tex]sin\frac{1}{x_n}[/tex] is always between -1 and 1,

[tex]x_nsin\frac{1}{x_n} \leq x_n[/tex]

Using similar logic,

[tex]x_n \leq x_nsin\frac{1}{x_n} \leq x_n[/tex]

Since both negative and positive [tex]x_n \rightarrow 0[/tex]

we know by the squeeze theorem that

[tex]x_nsin\frac{1}{x_n} \rightarrow 0[/tex]

EDIT: How do I incorporate the abs?

abs means absolute value (x_n could be negative for some n, so you must take the absolute value...suppose that there were a value of n for which x_n=-2 and sin(1/x_n)=+0.5, clearly x_n sin(1/x_n)=-1 which is not less that x_n=-2, but it is less than |-2|=2 )

[tex]\Rightarrow -|x_n| \leq x_nsin\frac{1}{x_n} \leq |x_n|[/tex]

not

[tex]-x_n \leq x_nsin\frac{1}{x_n} \leq x_n[/tex]

If x_n ->0, then so do Abs(x_n) and -Abs(x_n)

Last edited:

Okay, so here is what I have...

Proof

Since

[tex]\sin\frac{1}{x_n}[/tex]

is always between -1 and 1,

[tex]x_n\sin\frac{1}{x_n} \leq |x_n|[/tex]

Using similar logic,

[tex]-|x_n| \leq x_n\sin\frac{1}{x_n} \leq |x_n|[/tex]

Since

[tex]-|x_n| \to 0[/tex]

and

[tex]|x_n| \to 0[/tex]

, we know by the squeeze theorem that

[tex]x_n\sin\frac{1}{x_n} \rightarrow 0[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What does (x_n)->0 mean?

(x_n)->0 means that the sequence (x_n) approaches the limit of 0. In other words, as n (the index of the sequence) gets larger, the values of (x_n) get closer and closer to 0.

2. How is the limit of (x_n)sin(1/(x_n))=0 helpful?

The limit of (x_n)sin(1/(x_n))=0 is helpful because it allows us to evaluate the behavior of the sequence (x_n) near 0. This can provide insight into the overall behavior of the sequence and its convergence or divergence.

3. What is the significance of the sine function in this limit?

The sine function is significant because it introduces oscillation and variation into the sequence (x_n). This can affect the behavior of the sequence, and ultimately the value of the limit.

4. What does it mean if the limit of (x_n)sin(1/(x_n))=0 is not equal to 0?

If the limit of (x_n)sin(1/(x_n)) is not equal to 0, it means that the sequence (x_n) does not approach 0 as n gets larger. This could indicate that the sequence is divergent or that it has a different limit.

5. How can we use this limit to analyze the convergence or divergence of a sequence?

This limit can be used to analyze the convergence or divergence of a sequence by comparing the value of the limit to the behavior of the sequence. If the limit is equal to 0, the sequence may converge. If the limit is not equal to 0, the sequence may diverge or have a different limit. Other tests and methods may also be used to analyze convergence or divergence.