1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

XRy: x has drawn a picture of y | what relations apply?

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The relation xRy is defined as "x has drawn a picture of y". R is on the set of all people.

Is this relation: reflexive, irreflexive, symmetric, asymmetric, antisymmetric, transitive ?

2. Relevant equations
    What confuses me about this problem is that there is uncertainty involved. If xRy had been defined as "x scored higher on a test than y", then we could definitively say that y did not score higher than x, x did not score higher than himself, etc. However in this case, R doesn't definitively conclude that y did or did not draw a picture of x, or if x also drew a picture of himself, etc.

3. The attempt at a solution

reflexive - no; can't conclude that x drew x
    irreflexive - no; can't conclude that it's never the case that x drew x
    symmetric - no; can't conclude that y also drew x
    asymmetric - yes; in some case both xRy and yRx could be true
    antisymmetric - no; if x drew y then we can't always say that y did not draw x
    transitive - no; we don't know if yRw means x drew w

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2011 #2
    So am I on the right track?

4. Nov 16, 2011 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To say that an operator has such a characteristic (e.g., reflexive, irreflexive, ...), the characteristic need to hold for all x, y (or all x, y, z if applicable), not just a select handful. In other words, one counterexample is all it takes to answer have the answer be "no". For example, that someone could paint a self portrait means the relationship cannot be irreflexive. That not everyone has painted a self portrait means the relationship cannot be reflexive.

5. Nov 16, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In some texts, "asymmetric" simply means "not symmetric" in others, it means "if aRy then we do NOT have yRx". Which does your text use?

6. Nov 16, 2011 #5
    Our text uses the latter.

7. Nov 16, 2011 #6
    So it seems I'm correct with my reasoning above, except perhaps for asymmetric because x drawing y doesn't necessarily imply that y did not draw x.

8. Nov 16, 2011 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Correct. Now that you have clarified what "asymmetric" means, they are all false. That both xRy and yRx can be true (i.e., x and and y can draw pictures of each other) means that it is not asymmetric.

9. Nov 16, 2011 #8
    Thank you for the help. I couldn't find any online texts that explained relations where uncertainty was involved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook