Help proving some basic properties of relations

In summary, we are tasked to prove the following properties of relations: 1) If R is asymmetric then it's antisymmetric. 2) If R is asymmetric then it's irreflexive. 3) If R is irreflexive and transitive then it's asymmetric. To prove the first two properties, we use proof by contradiction. For the first property, we assume that R is asymmetric and not antisymmetric. This leads to a contradiction, showing that R must be antisymmetric. For the second property, we assume that R is asymmetric and not irreflexive. Again, this leads to a contradiction, proving that R must be irreflexive. For the third property, we use the fact that
privyet

Homework Statement

Prove the following properties of relations:

1) If R is asymmetric then it's antisymmetric.
2) If R is asymmetric then it's irreflexive.
3) If R is irreflexive and transitive then it's asymmetric.

The Attempt at a Solution

1)
If R is asymmetric on a set X, then for all x,y in X: xRy implies [itex]\neg[/itex](yRx).
If R is antisymetric on X, then for all x,y in X: xRy and yRx implies x = y.

The premise of the antisymmetry relation requires that xRy and yRx but as R is asymmetric we know that [itex]\neg[/itex](xRy and yRx), therefore given that the premise is false, the conclusion is vacuously true and we can say that if R is asymmetric then it's antisymmetric.

2)If R is asymmetric on a set X, then for all x,y in X: xRy implies [itex]\neg[/itex](yRx).
If R is irreflexive, then for all x in X, [itex]\neg[/itex](xRx)

I really don't know how to think about this proof.

3)
If R is irreflexive, then for all x in X, [itex]\neg[/itex](xRx).
R is transitive if when xRy and yRz for all x,y,z in X, then xRz.

Likewise, I don't know how to begin thinking about this proof.

In all of these problems I'm finding it hard to get my head around the process of doing the proof. If I write the 3rd problem in logic notation I get:
([itex]\forall[/itex]x [itex]\neg[/itex](xRx)) [itex]\wedge[/itex] ([itex]\forall[/itex]x,y,z in X xRy [itex]\wedge[/itex] yRz [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] xRz) [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] (xRy [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\neg[/itex](yRx))

How do I break this down and think about it? Any help much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
With regard to 2), what happens if R is not irreflexive, that is, there exists some x in X such that xRx?

With regard to 3), what does transitivity say about xRy and yRx?

Thanks for your reply.

1) I'm not sure, to be honest. One approach I had in mind was to say let x = y, then in the assymetric relation xRx [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\neg[/itex](xRx), then using the irreflexive relation I can say that since xRx is the premise it is false and therefore the implication is vacuously true. As I say, I don't feel like I have any idea how to organize my thoughts with regard to this so I have no idea if my statement is correct or not.

2) Transitivity would say that if xRy and yRx then xRx, but this should be false in this case because it is transitive and irreflexive. Am I going in the right direction here?

P.s. If anyone can point to an online resource that gives examples of proofs involving the properties of relations please let me know. I've done a lot of googling but haven't found much that i can apply to these types of questions.

privyet said:
Thanks for your reply.
You're welcome.

1) I'm not sure, to be honest. One approach I had in mind was to say let x = y, then in the assymetric relation xRx [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\neg[/itex](xRx), then using the irreflexive relation I can say that since xRx is the premise it is false and therefore the implication is vacuously true. As I say, I don't feel like I have any idea how to organize my thoughts with regard to this so I have no idea if my statement is correct or not.
The premise is *not* that R is irreflexive. The premise is that R is asymmetric. Your job is to prove that this means that R is irreflexive. So assume the contrary, that R is not irreflexive. (Hint: Look for a contradiction.)

2) Transitivity would say that if xRy and yRx then xRx, but this should be false in this case because it is transitive and irreflexive. Am I going in the right direction here?
Yes, you are going in the right direction. Transitivity, irreflexivity, and the assumption that there exists some x,y in X such that xRy and yRx leads to a contradiction. One of these things does not go with the other. That assumption has to be false. What does this say about R (Hint #1: It says it's asymmetric, but you have to prove it. Hint #2: Rewrite A→B using 'and' and 'not'.)

You apparently have forgotten about proof by contradiction. It's a powerful tool.

Last edited:

1. What is a relation?

A relation is a set of ordered pairs that describes the relationship between two sets of elements. It can be represented graphically, numerically, or algebraically.

2. What are the basic properties of relations?

The basic properties of relations include reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. Reflexivity means that every element in a set is related to itself. Symmetry means that if (a,b) is in the relation, then (b,a) must also be in the relation. Transitivity means that if (a,b) and (b,c) are in the relation, then (a,c) must also be in the relation.

3. How do you prove reflexivity in a relation?

To prove reflexivity, you must show that every element in a set is related to itself. This can be done by showing that (a,a) is in the relation for every element a in the set.

4. How do you prove symmetry in a relation?

To prove symmetry, you must show that if (a,b) is in the relation, then (b,a) is also in the relation. This can be done by showing that for every (a,b) in the relation, (b,a) is also in the relation.

5. How do you prove transitivity in a relation?

To prove transitivity, you must show that if (a,b) and (b,c) are in the relation, then (a,c) is also in the relation. This can be done by showing that for every (a,b) and (b,c) in the relation, (a,c) is also in the relation.