1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Y-component of Electrostatic Force

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the X, Y, and magnitude force between the two charges. Compare to the computer simulation results.

2. Relevant Equations
    Do not forget that this is a 2-D problem. Use the 2-D Coulomb’s law for line charges.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically we used a software called MAXWELL to plot 2 charges, 1 source and 1 probe charge. The source had a charge of 1 x 10^-12 C and probe -1 x 10^-13 C. The source charge had a radius of 5mm, while the probe had a radius of 0.5mm and the distance between them (Centre to centre) is 10mm. Both charges lie on the x-axis.

The software gave the following results,
    Fx = -1.8E-13
    Fy= 3.1E-16
    Fmag =1.8E-13
    Angle=180

I do know how to calculate the x-component, however I am confused on the y component. If both charges lie on the x-axis, wouldnt there only be an x-component of Force? How would I go about calculating it?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2
    Tired and probably wrong...

Well, I'm very tired at the moment (late night doing EE homework!!) but offhand I would say you are correct, if both charges lie on the x-axis, the y component should be zero. It is possible that the result from your computer simulation is a "virtual" zero, i.e. errors in the calculation introduced from using a finite number of bits in base 2 means that the answer is not EXACTLY zero, but is extremely close... remember that your y-component that you found is 1/1000th of the X component (approx.) You can see this in matlab quite often as well, when an answer of say 1E-60 is considered a 0 in many situations. Sorry if I am totally off base here!

Regards,
    Tristan Jones

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?