1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Year 11 Calculus Homework mainly focusing on Quotient Rule

1. Oct 16, 2013 #1
    Hello. I am studying differential calculus and I need help on what these questions are asking and how to solve them. I have attempted some of the question but I need clarification. This week is mainly focused on learning the Quotient Rule. Please help me

1. (a) Differentiate y = (x - A)/(x - B)
    (b) Show that for A>B, all tangents have a positive gradient, and for A<B all tangent have a negative gradient
    (c) What happens when A = B
    My attempt:
    (a) y' = (x-b)(1) - (x-A)(1) / (x - B)^2
    y' = (2x - AB) / (x - B)^2

2. Evaluate f'(1) when
    (a) f(x) = (√x) + (√2) / (√x) - (√2)
    (b) f(x) = (2x-3)(√x + 1)/ x
    My attempt:
    (a) f'(x) = (√x-√2)(1/2√x)-(√x+√2)(1/2√x)/(√x -√2)^2
    = 1/2 - √2/2√x - 1/2 + √2/2√x
    = (-√2/√x)/ (√x-√2)^2
    f'(1) = (-√1) / (√1-√2)^2
    (-√1) = (√1-√2)^2
    I'm not sure what to do from here

(b) f(x) = (2x-3)(√x + 1)/ x
    u = (2x-3)(√x + 1)
    v = x

f'(x) =
    I don't know how to find the derivate to u. If I did I would only be able to get up to what I did in question 2. (a)

With Q1 (b) and (c) am I supposed to equate the equation to A or B, like in quadratic equations? Or is that what I am supposed to do in Question 2. I am confused by what these questions are asking. Sorry if I haven't shown as much working out as I should have.

Thank you for reading
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why don't you just concentrate on 1(a) for a bit. Your simplification of the derivative is badly wrong. It's bad algebra. I don't even understand what you are doing. Then go on to the rest.

4. Oct 17, 2013 #3
    Think of exactly what the quotient rule states. How would you then apply it to the expression y = (x-a)/(x-b) ?

5. Oct 17, 2013 #4

verty

Homework Helper

Those square roots are wrong. Practice with the sum and product rules until you know them very well, then come back to the quotient rule. I say this because once you apply the quotient rule, you'll have sums and products to simplify.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted