Yet another projectile motion question - for practical writeup

In summary: The height is related to the "shooting the monkey" problem because the monkey was shot at a certain height and the height was based off of the h value.
shichi_reifujin
I am having no luck with my writeup. We did two related practicals: shot a rocked straight up to find the height, and then shot out at angles to obtain a range.

For the first one, two angles were obtained using a clinometre, then averaged:
d = 30
θ = 60, 69
Av. θ = 64.5

d = 60
θ = 46, 32
Av. θ = 39

From there, h (see attached diagram) was worked out:
Tan64.5 = h/30
h = 30 x Tan64.5
h = 64.9m

Tan39 = h/60
h = 60 x Tan39
h = 48.6m

This is what's confusing me. How do these measurements relate to projectile motion? What am I supposed to be working out with them?

The next part of the practical involved finding the maximum range. I have the results, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be finding with them. We were required to research projectile motion ourselves, and I'm guessing I'm in over my head. Any help would be greatly appreciated, so thank you in advance!

Attachments

• figure 1.GIF
    figure 1.GIF
    657 bytes · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
Sichi, look in your handbook for the part on shooting the monkey. It should be under projectile motion.

Here is a link to a short explanation of it:
http://physics.ucr.edu/~wudka/Physics7/Notes_www/node50.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Shooting the monkey? There's nothing in my textbook on projectile motion. We actually don't cover it until next year, but my teacher decided to "give us a head start". *shakes head*

I'll take a look at the page, and see how I go from there.

Yes, I agree it is a bit unfair to expect you to do projectile motion on your own. Try to speak to students who have treated projectile motion, or have a look at their handbook.

Have you done linear motion with a constant acceleration yet?

What about vectors and components?

Last edited:
I took a look at the textbook used next year for Physics. It's in there, but I'm still not really understanding it. We've done both linear motion and vectors and components already.

I'll ask the guy who I borrowed the textbook from and see how I go. I think my main problem is that I can't see how my results relate to anything...

Can you relate the calculated height to the "shooting the monkey" problem? Hint: Look at the link I provided.

Last edited:

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is projectile motion different from other types of motion?

Projectile motion is unique because it involves both horizontal and vertical motion simultaneously. The horizontal motion is constant and the vertical motion is affected by gravity.

3. What are the variables that affect projectile motion?

The variables that affect projectile motion include initial velocity, angle of launch, mass of the object, and air resistance. These variables can change the trajectory and distance traveled by the object.

4. How is projectile motion used in real life applications?

Projectile motion is used in many real-life applications such as sports, transportation, and military operations. For example, the trajectory of a baseball, the flight of a rocket, and the trajectory of a bullet all follow projectile motion.

5. How can we calculate the motion of a projectile?

The motion of a projectile can be calculated using equations of motion and the known variables such as initial velocity, angle of launch, and time. These calculations can be done using mathematical formulas or by using simulation software.