1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double slit experiment with a slit covered.

1. Dec 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A thin flake of mica (n=1.58) is used to cover one slit of a double-slit arrangement.The central point on the screen is occupied by the 7th brigth fringe.If lamda = 550nm, what is the thickness of the mica?

2. Relevant equations
    path difference d=(n-1)*thickness
    d=7*lamda
    snell's law?

3. The attempt at a solution
    first, the paths above the glass must be the same.So they are not in consideration.
    let l be the thickness of the glass,t be the length travelled by light in mica,x in air
    The mica:
    sinθ=nsin
    sin∅=sinθ/n....(1)
    sin∅=l/t..(2)

(1)/(2),
    sinθ=nl/t...(3)

In the air:
    sinθ=l/x...(4)
    compare 4 and 3,
    i came out, t=xn.

Then i started to consider the difference of wavelength,
    because the wavelength in mica is shorter than in air.
    I tried to subtract the sum of the pulses in air and mica and set it equals to 7 lamda,
    but what came out is peculiar,
    let m , n be the number of pulses in mica and air respectively,f=frequency
    m=tf/v...(5)
    n=xf/c..(6)
    so....
    m/n=nt/x
    i suppose it being m/n = t/nx ......so that they can be cancelled out......
    Please help for this:((

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2015 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have the feeling that they do not expect you to take into consideration refraction through the mica (how could you, you do not have an angle of incidence). I think you can safely neglect that and just consider an incident angle of zero in which case what you wrote in part 2 is all you need.

4. Dec 13, 2015 #3
    I don't quite like the way that this question is worded.
    I think that it means that what was the 7th bright fringe becomes shifted into the central bright maximum.
    Overall, I don't think that the appearance of the screen pattern would change.
    Then the problem becomes to calculate the thickness of the mica in order for the
    mica to contain 7 more wavelengths than would be contained in an equivalent thickness of air.
    This should not be too difficult since you know that the wavelength in the mica = 5.5 * 10E-7 / 1.58.
    as compared to 5.5 * 10E-7 in air.

5. Dec 14, 2015 #4
    thank you all :)) i have solved the problem :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted